Engine coolant for your radiator

Collect the condensate (the wet stuff) that drips from air conditioning units, which often have a convenient drain hose.

Widely available in large quantities, for free.

Deionized water is what coolant manufacturers use. since that is hard to find, u can also use distilled water. can’t find that either? tap water.

FYI: ANTIFREEZE is a concentrate (you need to add water), COOLANT is already mixed (mostly 50/50) by the manufacturer and ready to use.

i use long life coolants/antifreeze since it’s loaded to fight corrosion. these high end products are also safe to use on aluminum and other metals found in the path of your cooling system.

[quote=“808state”]Deionized water is what coolant manufacturers use. since that is hard to find, u can also use distilled water. can’t find that either? tap water.

FYI: ANTIFREEZE is a concentrate (you need to add water), COOLANT is already mixed (mostly 50/50) by the manufacturer and ready to use.

i use long life coolants/antifreeze since it’s loaded to fight corrosion. these high end products are also safe to use on aluminum and other metals found in the path of your cooling system.[/quote]

The condensate from air conditioning units will be equivalent to distilled water, with very low levels of trace contaminants from (indoor) atmospheric dust and tiny amounts of leachate off the condensor surface.

The quality might vary a bit. At the moment (post-typhoon rains) the skies seem especially clear so there’s probably less dust in the air.

Tap water is often from artesian sources in Taiwan and may be quite high in minerals especially calcium.

[quote=“Ducked”]
The condensate from air conditioning units will be equivalent to distilled water, with very low levels of trace contaminants from (indoor) atmospheric dust and tiny amounts of leachate off the condensor surface.

The quality might vary a bit. At the moment (post-typhoon rains) the skies seem especially clear so there’s probably less dust in the air.

Tap water is often from artesian sources in Taiwan and may be quite high in minerals especially calcium.[/quote]
Good thinking. :thumbsup:

Filter your AC condesate water with a Brita filter ? How bout that?

You could but I doubt its worth the trouble/expense, because, having done so, I wouldn’t then use the filter for drinking water, so it would have to be dedicated to this role.

Although the contamination of aircondensate is likely to be very low, it may include heavy metals from, for example, soldered joints, which bioaccumulate, so I think aircondensate should not be used as potable water (except, I suppose, in dire emergency).

I dont know the details (which probably vary) but the widely distributed institutional/domestic drinking water machines have quite high performance spun polypropylene filter candles in them, (which are remarkably cheap in my local all-night hardware store) and at least some of them also include ion-exchange resins and activated charcoal adsorbents. I’d think the output from one of these, if properly maintained, would be quite pure.

i still can’t believe repair shops in taiwan still use the green stuff (EG) in modern cars :loco: heck some of them are fake too, 3x more dye so add 1 liter of the green antifreeze then the rest is water and it still looks dark green :roflmao:

lack of consumer education :frowning:

[quote=“Ducked”][quote=“808state”]Deionized water is what coolant manufacturers use. since that is hard to find, u can also use distilled water. can’t find that either? tap water.

i use long life coolants/antifreeze since it’s loaded to fight corrosion. these high end products are also safe to use on aluminum and other metals found in the path of your cooling system.[/quote]

Tap water is often from artesian sources in Taiwan and may be quite high in minerals especially calcium.[/quote]

well thank goodness long life antifreeze/coolants is loaded with products to fight corrosion. so you wouldn’t have to go that far in collecting water :slight_smile:

just clean tap water is all u will need.

[quote=“808state”][quote=“Ducked”][quote=“808state”]Deionized water is what coolant manufacturers use. since that is hard to find, u can also use distilled water. can’t find that either? tap water.

well thank goodness long life antifreeze/coolants is loaded with products to fight corrosion. so you wouldn’t have to go that far in collecting water :slight_smile:

just clean tap water is all u will need.[/quote]

Well, not that it matters much, but there are window mounted aircon units with drain hoses in most of the rooms I use, so I wouldn’t have to go very far at all. I think this will apply to many people in Taiwan.

You yourself, above, say that deionised or distilled water is superior to tap water, and aircondensate is very similar to distilled water.

Don’t see what your problem is, but if you don’t want to use it, water from the drinking machines is likely to be better than “clean tap water”.

[quote=“Ducked”]

Well, not that it matters much, but there are window mounted aircon units with drain hoses in most of the rooms I use, so I wouldn’t have to go very far at all. I think this will apply to many people in Taiwan.

You yourself, above, say that deionised or distilled water is superior to tap water, and aircondensate is very similar to distilled water.

Don’t see what your problem is, but if you don’t want to use it, water from the drinking machines is likely to be better than “clean tap water”.[/quote]

no problem there. if people use aircondensate water go for it. you would need a bucket of it depending on your radiator size. make sure have some extra for topping off or spillage.

for my race bikes i use like u said drinking machines or even cheap bottled water. only becuase my mixture of antifreeze is less 30/70 or 20/80.

for my daily car it’s a 50/50 mix. so just like any chap out there, tap water.

that’s for long life, extended drain antifreeze.

Dunno, but this stuff, bought from RT-MART,

doesn’t seem to be much good.

Its been in about a year, and the system was thoroughly flushed with tap and drinking machine water before filling. Looks like I used the radiator to make hot chocolate.

Cant be completely sure it was down to this stuff because my final flush was drinking water machine water, and I’ve since seen it stated that this can contain salt (used to regenerate the ion-exchange resin). This time I used rain water.,oh wait, acid rain. Should probably just have used tap water, it not being the aircon season.

Anyway, I put ShellZone stuff in it, so hopefully that’ll be better.