Engineering salary in Taipei

Hi Guys,

-I’ve been working for 9 years in oil & gas & power plant industries, I’ve been offered a job in taipei, not to mention I’m Asian, so I expect less salary compared for those who hold US/British passport. The position being offered is senior engineer level. what would be the average salary for person like me?

• A bit off topic, the company is located at shilin district,Zhongshan N Rd. how much the rental around that area?

Is it a global firm or local firm?

Here’s a good comparison for wages:

Low-end buxiban teacher: 50,000 NT/Month. Usually 1 month CNY bonus

Experienced buxiban teacher: 65-70,000 NT/Month. Usually 1 month CNY bonus

Non-senior professional white person at Gigabyte/MSI/Asus: 55,000-65,000 NT a month. Usually 2-3 month CNY bonus

Experienced expat at a global company: 100-150k a month with a 2-3 month CNY bonus.

I’d ask for at least 2.5 million NT a year. Firms here love paying out salary in bonuses, so I wouldn’t be so picky about monthly salary and take a bonus.

It’s an international company, biggest epc company in Taiwan.

Do 2.5mln figures inclusive bonuses or other allowances?

@derpydogs run down is pretty spot on. I wouldn’t worry too much about how much rent is at the moment. Of course, try to get all or maybe just a portion of housing to be covered in your package.

Like many districts in Taipei, there’s high and low end apartments in the area.

To give you an idea…

I had a friend who was renting a bi-level flat (kind of like a loft apt where it’s one big room with high ceilings, but the bedroom is open air and accessed via stairs) near Jiantan MRT in a brand new building with security guard. He was paying around 32,000NT/month + approx 3000NT/month for utilities.

I had another friend renting a 3 bedroom, 2 bath flat for around 90,000NT/month in a brand new building with (a very annoying) security guard.

You don’t necessarily have to live near work. It’s nice being close, but in my opinion, I would get bored. Having my working and living circle of food/entertainment be the same everyday, I’d go crazy.

::EDIT::

I would like to clarify, example apartment number 1, that’s the highest he’s ever paid for utilities and it was mainly due to electricity. Once you’ve decided to make the move, you’ll soon learn that electricity is more expensive during the summer months here in Taiwan.

1 Like

Is it Continental? Generally firms here will be cheap with salary, but don’t be afraid to ask for an apartment or at least a 20k a month housing allowance.