"English as it's Really Spoken"

Spotted this in the Christian Science Monitor:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0615/p11s02-legn.html

As a former fellow English Teacher found it interestng.

The C.S.M., for those of you who don’t know it, is a left of center, mainstream, non-religious newspaper, with perhaps a strong interest in peace and social justice issues. Winner of many, many industry awards for outstanding journalism

mwalimu,

Very good article. I am in total agreement that not enough time is given in the classroom to learning slang and idioms, which are often the most difficult part of English for many students.
When I was in the states, I spent a considerable amount of time explaining to foreigners what certain words and expressions meant that they had heard from TV or movies (not to mention music).
It’s good to hear that more and more teachers can see the need to include these words in their teaching.

[quote=“mwalimu”]
The C.S.M., for those of you who don’t know it, is a left of center, mainstream, non-religious newspaper, with perhaps a strong interest in peace and social justice issues. Winner of many, many industry awards for outstanding journalism[/quote]

Who you kidding, mwalimu? The CSM is the mouthpiece of one of the silliest religious cults ever to come down the Boston Expressway … and while a very finely written and reported newspaper … it is hardly left of center…hugs the middle tightly… and every day publishes complete religious nonsense in a special column about “Christian Science.”

It is a damn good newspaper, and it’s website is convenient for readers outside Boston … and I notice the Taiwan News uses many CSM stories now on its feature and editorial pages … nice touch…

But just like the Washington Times in DC is a mouthpiece of the Rev. Moon and his mindcontrolled Moonies, so too is the CSM a tool of a very weird “church” founded by what’s her name, Mary Baker Eddy, right?

Good post though. Thanks.

[quote=“mwalimu”]Spotted this in the Christian Science Monitor:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0615/p11s02-legn.html

As a former fellow English Teacher found it interestng.

The C.S.M., for those of you who don’t know it, is a left of center, mainstream, non-religious newspaper, with perhaps a strong interest in peace and social justice issues. Winner of many, many industry awards for outstanding journalism[/quote]

Actually, the CSM, despite being affiliated with the conservative Christian Science cult, is reputed, and makes great efforts, to be one of the most politically unbiased papers in the world. As such, it is smack dab in the center of the political spectrum; certainly not “left of center”.

That same article was reprinted in the Taiwan News on Sunday here.