⊃⋃⋂⊂ — English Audio with English subtitles?

Hi!

I want to go watch Dune but the cinemas around me don’t have English subs (I have asked).

Why do I want that? Well, I’ve been in the cinema here in Taiwan before and usually, while the audio of the movie might be in English, the subs will be in Chinese (makes sense) but I have had quite some bad experiences where these subtitled versions have had their audio quality shat upon along the subtitling way. This makes it that, with the help of today’s performances of some male actors who speak low and barely use their vocal cords and try to vocalize the least, it is quite hard for me to understand clearly all the things they say in the movies sometimes.
Also you can add I’m no native American English listener, even though I only really have problems when movies do what I described.

TLDR: Is there someone who has happily watched Dune in Taipei, with either English subtitles or an over-the-top audio quality?

Thanks!

3 Likes

Good question. I saw Dune here a couple of weeks ago. Only Chinese subtitles. Iffy middle aged hearing. I always use subtitles at home, partly due to the way sound is mixed these days.

As for Dune, nope, I missed big stretches of the dialogue and if I hadn’t read the novel and seen the older film (multiple times for both, but long ago), I doubt I could have followed the story. What I did understand was often from combining poorly understood English with poorly understood Chinese subtitles.

So I guess I’d recommend waiting to see it at home. I spent stretches of the film wondering why I’d been enthusiastic about getting in a cinema again for the first time in 18 months or so. There were also a few moments of “F*ck you Villeneuve for thinking this is a superior experience.” It isn’t.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen spoken English with English subtitles here. The only ones that come to mind are arthouse fare where they’re not speaking English, or are using a mix of languages.

1 Like

It’s ‘dune’?

I woulda called it Dunc

⊃⋃⋂⊂

2 Likes

⊃⋃⋂∈

June?

Actually I’m happy to hear I’m not the only one having troubles making out dialogue in movies. I thought it was just me getting old: somehow it seems to be getting harder and harder to distinguish voices from background noises…

2 Likes

If that’s June, shouldn’t ⊃⋃⋂⊂ be Junc?

That is a sign of aging. The brain gradually loses the ability to separate different sounds, even if you have no loss of hearing.

2 Likes

I honestly assumed it was either one of the early forms of Chinese people sometimes talk about on here or something to do with a new PlayStation controller…

1 Like

It appeared on twitter

But was later “fixed” on the official release

I still like the ambiguous one more :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Sounds like a basketball movie to me… :thinking:

5 Likes

Book a ticket for a seat with a hearing aid port.

1 Like

It’s in most movies, TV series, music is louder than voice, it just irritates me and shows that ‘sound’ people are just incompetent.

2 Likes

I guess we as Forumosa are collectively getting old, then :grandpa:

Looking forward very much to seeing Dune in a cinema with English subtitles. I even enjoyed the weird Lynch version, mostly at least.

Did we have a cinema with English subs mentioned yet in this thread?

3 Likes

I keep waiting for the boner pill ads to appear…

1 Like

I didn’t realize those existed - good to know they’re out there. But in my case the volume isn’t a problem at all. As @Dr_Milker mentioned above, it’s about “focusing” on the different sounds.

It’s more like I want to keep the spoken dialogue at the same volume, but turn down the other sounds.

FWIW the first show I started noticing this with was David Tennant-era Doctor Who - that was when I started just keeping subtitles on, so it’s well over a decade now.

Huh, this may be the first appealing use case for a Google-glasses style product that I’ve encountered. Personal subtitles in the language of your choice would be a great feature.

2 Likes

3 Likes

DUDCS.

Yes.

1 Like

I’m not that old but I usually like to have subtitles on in case I miss something. I watched Dune last weekend and I definitely wished they had English subtitles for the whole movie. There were several times I remember not being able to hear what was said and kept thinking I need to watch it again with subtitles.

3 Likes

I guess you guys had a blast with Tennet :smiley:

I specially enjoyed trying to watch Inception on a plane from-and-to Taiwan in three different ocasions :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: