English Birth Certificate

I am an American citizen married to a Taiwanese citizen. I gave birth to a baby boy a few weeks ago, and prior to giving birth I had checked to see if they were able to give both an English and Chinese birth certificate - to which they replied they could. After the fact they were in the process of creating the English birth certificate and told me that they were unable to do it and that we had to go through a lawyer. I have 2 Chinese birth certificates and no English birth certificate. In order to get my son’s U.S. passport I know I need to have an English birth certificate. Is there any other way for me to do that. Can I translate the birth certificate myself and then have it authenticated or notarized at AIT? The only difference would be his name because obviously he would have his English name vs. his Chinese name. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.