English bookstores in Chiayi or Tainan?

I’m between Tainan and Chiayi leaning more on the Chiayi side. does anyone know of any bookstores that are partly or mostly English in either city?
Also, I’m looking for a beginners guitar chord and instruction book for my daughter, in English of course.
Thanks for any leads.

Chiayi only has a Caves store and it doesn’t have that much other than textbooks.
Chiayi City 嘉義市民權路28號 28 Minchuan Rd.
Put the Chinese address into Google Maps and you’ll get a nice map of the local

Jaiyi Caves bookstore is across the street from Chaiyi park on mincyuan, 2nd floor has the English books and the third floor has a bunch of textbooks.

I have also been lucky with a few used bookstores:

Sirong st, just south of Jongshan on the west side of the street is a used bookstore with a fair amount of English books. When you go in, keep walking and on the right side there is a skinny, steep, stairway that almost looks like its private and your not allowed, but go up anyways. Tons of novels, and other assorted books.

Singye west road, just east of the train tracks on the south side is another used book store with a little less selection and no organization, but you might be surprised what you find there if you have the time to look around.

Caves in Tainan is on Beimen Road, a minute’s walk from the train station. It’s not wonderful, and much of it (like the Jiayi store, by the sounds of it) is geared towards ESL - but there is a section of “proper” books that might be of interest.

There are a few other places around Tainan which carry used books - one such being the Go Dutch Café, if it’s still open (it’s been a couple of years since I went there). Although thinking about it his books may have been for rental only… I forget.

How about a day trip to Taipei on the HSR? Stop in at Page One (now sadly reduced from its former glory) and the 24hr Eslite nearby. Fill up your suitcase with books and lug that lot back down south.

[quote=“Taffy”]Caves in Tainan is on Beimen Road, a minute’s walk from the train station. It’s not wonderful, and much of it (like the Jiayi store, by the sounds of it) is geared towards ESL - but there is a section of “proper” books that might be of interest.

There are a few other places around Tainan which carry used books - one such being the Go Dutch Café, if it’s still open (it’s been a couple of years since I went there). Although thinking about it his books may have been for rental only… I forget.

How about a day trip to Taipei on the HSR? Stop in at Page One (now sadly reduced from its former glory) and the 24hr Eslite nearby. Fill up your suitcase with books and lug that lot back down south.[/quote]
What he said…

Go Dutch is open again, but his selection is sadly dilapidated. Just off Minzu road as you go under the bridge (Behind the train station - The university side, not the Beimen road side) there are some pretty decent used book stores. But, Caves bookstore is still your best bet in Tainan. They’ll also order just about anything you want.