English commentators mangling Chinese names in Olympics

Hey I just cobble this shit together man :slight_smile: :slight_smile: IN between funny vids on youtube.

All Im trying to say is that its a good thing the Chinese have thought the world ends at their border all these milennia (sp…cant be bothered to look it up) otherwise there would be a lot more Chinese on planet Earth.

So lets not blame this trait in them.

blah blah blah and so forth

Some journalists on the BBC can’t even pronounce English, the most staggering are the weather people though … I guess they all come from the British annexed territories … places like Wales and stuff …

[quote=“Jack Burton”][quote=“tommy525”]Well lets see, imagine if all these centuries China was not closed to the outside world? Safe in the ““knowledge”” that China was the center of the known universe. IF China had always been open to the outside world and Chinese had spread far and wide around the globe, the world today may be 2/3 of ethnic Chinese origin instead of the fifth of humanity today. Or at least a lot more people would be partially Chinese?
?[/quote]

I’m really tired of reading Chinglish at work…

WTF are you trying to say. I don’t understand the words that are coming out of your mouth. Did you even read your post?

sentence fragments and non-sequitur - the hallmark of Chinglish.[/quote]

OH by the way, Im half Chinese…hence the Chinglish. :smiling_imp:

Beijing … why don’t they just call it Peeeking? Problem solved

You would kind of hope “western media” would bother to make some effort to learn the basics about what the names of at least the places in China are, if nothing else (it may be unrealistic to expect them tolearn to pronounce the names of competitors from all countries - how good’s YOUR Swahili?).

Here in NZ I have been horrified by the total cluelessness. We have “djun-djwung” (the only way I can think to write it) for Xin-jiang (reporting on the “terrorist attacks” there), the usual “dzh” sound in “Beijing”, and all sorts of bastardizations of Tian-jin, Qing-dao, Shen-yang etc.

It very much disabuses one of the idea that the TWNese / Chinese are any more ignorant of the rest of the world than the world is of them. The number of times my wife (from TWN) has had to repeat where she’s from to people here, and after 3 or 4 times of telling they’re still confused if it’s Thailand or TWN, or was it Japan?

And when you think how many cities of over 2 million in China there are (at least 20) - how many can anyone in the West name? How many of these places do you think anyone outside of East Asia has heard of (how many have you heard of)?
Guangzhou - 8.8 million
Shenzhen - 7.6 million
Wuhan - 7.2 million
Chongqing - 6.5 million
Shenyang - 4.8 million
Dongguan - 4.5 million
Chengdu - 4.1 million
Xian - 4.0 million
Nanjing - 3.7 million
Guiyang - 3.7 million
Harbin - 3.6 million
Changchun - 3.2 million

Note that these figures are only for Cities; that’s like calling Taipei a place with a population of 2.5 million when we know it’s actually around 7 million including in the greater metropolitan areas such as Yong-He, Zhong-He, Ban-Qiao etc.

Yet we’ve heard of 100’s of far smaller towns in the US and Europe that are also in languages that are not our own, and we have at least some idea about them.

I am no Chinese flag-waver (see my other posts) but isn’t it about time the West got a clue about the other half of the world? One wonders if these Olympics may help. One gets the idea that so far, it is not.