English corners in Taipei

I just moved here from Shanghai and I can’t seem to find any information on language corners

I only attended one in Shanghai, but i thought it was really fun, it was at a local university and professionals that lived around there gathered to chat in english. Being one of the only native speakers there, a lot of people wanted to chat with me and I made some nice friends out of it.

I was thinking it would be a nice way to meet some new locals in Taipei, but i haven’t found any information on it yet, anyone had any experience with this before?

[quote=“nateliu99”]I just moved here from Shanghai and I can’t seem to find any information on language corners

I only attended one in Shanghai, but i thought it was really fun, it was at a local university and professionals that lived around there gathered to chat in english. Being one of the only native speakers there, a lot of people wanted to chat with me and I made some nice friends out of it.

I was thinking it would be a nice way to meet some new locals in Taipei, but i haven’t found any information on it yet, anyone had any experience with this before?[/quote]

Indeed. I’m not sure Taiwan has as many weirdos as the many I met within the space of about ten minutes at an English corner in Shanghai. That having been said, I think that if there was free beer provided and some air-conditioning it might just work. They could call it something like…Roxy 99 or something else catchy.

The whole English corner thing is very much a China concept, and not a Taiwan one. Thankfully. Well at least I have never come across one in a dozen years here where as I chanced on one more than once in parks in China and I was only there for under 3 years.
Anyway in Taiwan I think they just have these places called buxibans where they pay Canadians to attend or something like that instead…

Awesome, love the sarcastic pessimism. I guess I’ll just take that as a NO that they aren’t here in Taiwan. Thanks for the info

What’s an “English corner”?

It looks just like this:

I have heard that some of the universities have English corners, but they don’t seem to be as common as in China. We ran into them in parks, malls, schools, and bookstores in China and often got dragged into conversations. I kind of enjoyed them, though, and I actually met a couple of friends at one, people that I still keep up with almost 10 years later. You might try checking at a couple of the universities around town to see if they have something like that on offer.

Thank you for the helpful and straightforward response!

Sounds fucking hideous…

Yeah. Let’s make one!

Leo, you’ve been a bad boy. Stand in the corner and practise your English with a Canadian.

I think we call these places here, Starbucks.
It sounds like a great idea. I can teach for 6 hours a day, 7 days a week, and on my off hours, I can go to an English Corner, sponsored by the Chinese Government, and teach another few hours for free. I can make friends. Sounds cool to me. I wonder how they feel about an English Corner well equipped with a free English teacher with a bottle of scotch.
To the op. Nobody is dissing you. But, you have to remember that the cutures here are far apart. During the cultural revolution, this shit was promted. It is not done so much now. I just did a class with a girl from Shanghai and I asked her about these corners. She had never heard of them and has lived there most of her life.