English help... Is this sentence correct?

Just curious what book this comes from.

Although Chinese is a very terse language that can express complex ideas in few words, Chinese writers love verbosity. The whole paragraph could have been reduced to two sentences. None of the fill-in-the-blanks are even necessary, except for a verb of some sort in 16 (eg., “pump”). 19 seems to have no correct answer.

Asked and answered, you just didn’t do the reading!

As you’re well aware, scanning walls of text for keywords isn’t my strong point.

used to emphasize a lack of restriction in selecting one of a definite set of alternatives.

“choose whichever brand you prefer”
Oxford Languagege

whichever ‘any one at all’ or ‘it doesn’t matter which’
Cambridge dictionary

Whichever item coated with this unique paint can maintain a lower temperature than its surroundings.

Seems perfectly cromulent to me.

A car rust-proofed ten years ago can still run today.
Whichever car rust-proofed ten years ago can still run today

Anyone of the beds from the back room can be used for the chilren
Whichever bed from the back room can be used for the children

The path I choose will be followed to the end
Whichever path I choose will be followed to the end.

Even if it’s cromulent (thanks for introducing me to a new word), my question would be, why use “Whichever”, when “Any” would do the job perfectly better, with less letters too.

Is there a significant difference in meaning between “Whichever” and “Any”?

1 Like

As opposed to crapulence, which I am feeling right now.

3 Likes

Two of these three examples are wrong as well, IMHO.

First is past tense and seems ok.
The second takes the passive voice and seems to require “was”.

Official prep book for the college entrance exam in Taiwan.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone who helped. I’d like to mark it solved, but it was definitely a group effort.

2 Likes

“…so I can’t” implied, one suspects.

1 Like

CF the standard Chinglish “not only”…“but also” (which is not only correct but also superfluously verbose), with “and”.

You know which one they get taught in school, so there’s no need to act all puzzled and surprised.

They are if you are writing a gap-fill test.

2 Likes

NOW I am puzzled.

:woozy_face:

Are you? I’m surprised.

If you typed it correctly, it’s going to be wrong whatever pronouns/nouns you load it with because it needs to begin, “Whichever s./pl. is/are coated with…”

1 Like

That’s what I thought too, but I just wanted to be sure since the question is presented (in)correctly.

1 Like

crapulent, surely?

1 Like

“perfectly better”? Uncomfortable juxtaposition of an absolute and a relative term, already.

I wrote that perfectly intentionally. :hugs: