English International News Programs - Are there any?

I’m wondering if there are any English international news programs on Taiwan television. I like to sit down after work and see what’s happining in the world. I once caught a program from Japan that was in English one late night but that was long ago and now don’t remember when or what channel.

thanks

Well, there’s CNN International in English on cable.

CNN International is not at all international. Every other story on that channel has to do with usa. I’m looking for true international that doesn’t focus on one country.

I am not a big fan of CNN but they do have regional programming at times. Sure, lot’s of USA news but more on a world-wide level than local, and given that the USA is quite involved in international affairs (more than others) it’s not surprising.

Anyhow, no choice unless they bring back the BBC.

Too bad. Thanks anyway.

The BBC appears on channel 116 from time to time (like early morning).
Obviously that’s cable, and probably not all cable companies. My company is crap and it’s there, so try it out.

BBC, deutsche welt, TV Monde 5, australia network on digital cable [minimum package]. oh, and CNN too if you like American angles. half of their newsanchors are aussie, though.

It’s called Deutsche Welle.

The Germans lost the war, remember? :wink:

damn. thought it didn’t look right.

ta.

You can sometimes catch Deutsche Welle and BBC on the radio too, including somewhere very roughly around AM720 or 780. Leave it tuned there for a week, and you’ll know the schedule. I tend to just flip it on when I enter the kitchen, and if those are on I leave them on while I cook.

OP, I realize CNN Int. isn’t ideal, but there are slim pickings here. Let us know if you find something better!

[quote=“Dragonbones”]You can sometimes catch Deutsche Welle and BBC on the radio too, including somewhere very roughly around AM720 or 780. Leave it tuned there for a week, and you’ll know the schedule. I tend to just flip it on when I enter the kitchen, and if those are on I leave them on while I cook.

OP, I realize CNN Int. isn’t ideal, but there are slim pickings here. Let us know if you find something better![/quote]

Aljazeera, Australia Network, BBC, Bloomberg, CBS, Channel News Asia, CNN, CNBC, Cspan VOA, DW, Fox, Sky News UK, Sky Sports News, Voice of America, Headline News.

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“Dragonbones”]You can sometimes catch Deutsche Welle and BBC on the radio too, including somewhere very roughly around AM720 or 780. Leave it tuned there for a week, and you’ll know the schedule. I tend to just flip it on when I enter the kitchen, and if those are on I leave them on while I cook.

OP, I realize CNN Int. isn’t ideal, but there are slim pickings here. Let us know if you find something better![/quote]

Al-Jazeera, Australia Network, BBC, Bloomberg, CBS, Channel News Asia, CNN, CNBC, Cspan VOA, DW, Fox, Sky News UK, Sky Sports News, Voice of America, Headline News.

[/quote]
Those are a lot of links. Thanks. Although I think I would not touch any of them with a ten foot pole (except maybe Al-Jazeera, …) most of the others I have not heard of and the others, why would you even mention them. Do you not understand what I am asking? Please reply seriously. Please don’t reply with CNN of Fox just to be funny, this is a serious question.

I agree with Rascal about the CNN we get here – it’s reasonably international.

The channels that Satellite TV mentioned are available on satellite TV.

As for regular cable channels, not much else apart from CNN, though the Japanese channel NHK has an English news broadcast at certain times of the day. I can’t remember what channel NHK is on in Taichung.

I’m pretty sure that the Taichung cable TV company NEVER broadcast the BBC. Possibly on the digital service but I don’t think so.

Irishstu, how come you have channel 116? I don’t even have that – the TV skips right past it. Are there different cable providers within Taipei City?

You say you want an unbiased news service, and you choose Al Jazeera from that list? Sheesh. :loco:

Al Jazeera has one of the better news services around. Most people here have never seen it yet claim to know it well. The presenters such as David Frost, Veronica Pedrosa, Rhiz Khan and others are well know from the BBC CNN and other news providers.

As for the OP, he complains about channels he’s never heard of but wants more international news. Channel News Asia and Headline News carry a variety of news not covered in other channels.

Of course there’s also the new English News Channel24 from France as well.

The OP ought to get serious about trying to find out about a channels content before dismissing it just because he hasnt seen it.

I like the BBC a lot because they have less Iraq, more European news, and for the past month they also had lots of non-political series about India, its schools, wedding industry, etc.

But today they showed their weaker side:
a/ the weather forecaster said a typhoon was over the East China Sea and would bring lots of rain to eastern parts of China later on. OK, so what happened to Taiwan? Disappeared off the map?

b/ their business guy didn’t know the stockmarket was closed today because of the typhoon. He just reported yesterday’s closing stock index figure as if it were today’s, and the market was still open.

I know those mistakes are not going to change the course of world history, but it’s details like that which make me lose faith in the reliability of news reporting. A reputable company like the BBC should do better.

It’s been a year since I asked this question. And, living in Taichung with basic cable still has found nothing. I tried to watch the CNN channel but can’t get it (can’t understand it’s programming), can’t get over the slanted western side of view. A post said that it covers basic international news but it’s from one countries perspective. Maybe you don’t think so but it seems like it to me.
I have turned to the internet it’s doing me fine, I guess. I have cancelled my cable service.

Good point. What I meant was that, although I never watched many of those I did recognize them as being westernized or Europeanized. And what I want is more of real news rather that sensationalism. The ones that I haven’t watched yet I will give them a go. Thanks, I’m sure one of them will do fine.

BBC World TV is on channel 105 in Danshui.
But I just see you’re in Taichung, so that’s not much consolation. You’ll have to stick to radio and the web.