English Newspapers in Taiwan - All the News That's Printed to Fit

I’m sure I’m not the only one waiting with bated breath for Quirky to “process his words” and get back to us. Coincidentally, this illustrates the proper use of the word “bated.”
Relations turn sour as Mahathir bates Bush indeed! :laughing:

Perhaps it’s just my tendency to politicize everything, but couldn’t you look at Taiwan’s english papers survivalist tendencies as just that, a matter of politics? At least for the Taipei Times and the China Post.

The Taipei Times is definitely slanted towards the DPP ideological perspective, with a strong dose of Lee Teng-huism. In fact the only time I’ve found it to be overly critical of the DPP is when Lee Teng-hui has disagreed with something done by the current administration or the DPP itself.

I have also heard that the China Post has been in the same familiy (who were, and probably still, are KMT members) for its entire existence, and was the only English paper in Taiwan throughout the martial law era when all media was controlled by the party-state. In looking at the China Post it seems to me that the KMT bias is simply overpowering and has yet to be brought under control.

As for the Taiwan News, I’m uncertain where it stands. Anyone have any ideas?

Anyways, as newspapers in Taiwan have traditionally been used for polticial indoctrination and propaganda purposes wouldn’t it be logical to assume that the owners, political forces, controlling these papers care not about profits, but about spinning their story to the foreign community and the foreign media as well? I don’t know, just some thoughts. Perhaps I need some more coffee.

Forget about the China News? Taiwan News is the DPP.

China News = Taiwan News?

Was it founded around the time the DPP was founded, around 1987? If so, then it wouldn’t be martial. If earlier then I’m wrong and apologize for my ignorance. Either way, don’t know much about it, as I don’t read it often so I don’t know where it stands. thanx for the info.

If you want some more information about the paper go to the “About Us” section of their website.

The China Post was established in 1952. See the “History” section of their website.

The Taipei Times is the baby of Taiwan’s English language newspapers. It was established in 1999.

Forget about the China News? Taiwan News is the DPP.[/quote]
Then why did they assign their best reporter to “spiritual leader of the TSU” Lee Teng-hui in the last election? He wasn’t even running for office!

Taipei Times, Taiwan News = pan-green
China Post = pan-blue (or pan-reds, as the pan-greens derisively call them)

What do you make of today’s
taipei times editorial?

[quote]This time last week we wondered whether, given that a victory in the next presidential election by the blue-camp ticket of KMT Chairman Lien Chan (

:shock: Marie Feliciano, in today’s dope Taiwan News, writes about the tradition of jewelry-giving in Taiwanese weddings:

Damn, girlfriend is whack! Marie must be a huge fan of hip-hop, because MTV.com says:[quote]The term, which is used to describe diamonds, jewelry and all forms of showy style, was coined by New Orleans rap family Cash Money Millionaires back in the late '90s and started gaining national awareness with a song titled “Bling Bling” by Cash Money artist BG.[/quote]
However, from what I have read, bling-bling is an uncountable noun and has no specific plural form. Nice try anyway, Marie. :wink:

I can’t begin to imagine her high schools years.

Marie, Marie.

She certainly is a creative writer–and a real workhorse, too. She seems to singlehandedly produce most of the business articles, restaurant reviews, and entertainment pieces for the Taiwan News.

In a recent article about a mango promotion at a hotel–or maybe it was about the mango ice place on Yongkang Street–Marie came up with the line (paraphrase), “During mango season, fresh mangos perfume my studio.”

I kind of liked that line.

Whatever happened to Nancy T. Lu at the China Post. She always seemed to throw in some random phrases like “among local fahionistas” or “gave her hubby” or many others along those lines.

Marie is top class, hard worker, fine writer, just overworked as hell. I always loved reading her when i was on island, and still read her on the Net. Maoman, nice catch. I missed that blingbling reference today, although the photo did catch my eye. Heard that blingbling is now in the Oxford Dick of New Words.

As for Nancy Lu, someone said on this forum a few months ago there was a death in her family back home in Manila and she went back there to be with relatives and tend to a sick one. And then she decided to stay there and not come back. As a result, the China Post the past 4 months has looked like shite. Nancy rocked! Come back soon!

Does anyone from the CHina Post ever post here? I mean the TT people do and the TN people do, but i never see CP people here. Is it against their rules?

Bling blings. Nice catch, Chairman!

I’ve heard bling-bling is getting to be pretty common slang now in the States.
Marie does work hard and is a really nice person and deserves all the bling-blings she can get. People that used to work at the Post might post here, but that could be just hearsay.

This (Thursday) morning the Taipei Times had a report on its frontpage about the appointment of a new deputy finance minister, Yang Zijiang.
But for a newspaper which used to pride itself on giving more analysis and background, it was surprisingly short on details about this mr Yang.

Oh, yes, it mentioned his current position as general manager of China Development. But there’s the sting. That means Yang is a close confidant of the notorious Liu Taiying, the KMT’s money man during most of the 90s and the godfather of money politics in Taiwan.

If Yang was so close to Liu - who’s been indicted on 12 counts of corruption - what is he doing getting a promotion to one of the most powerful jobs in the country’s financial sector? How does his appointment - if he is indeed a Liu crony - rhyme with the DPP government’s efforts at fighting corruption and money politics?
Not a word from the Taipei Times about that.

Does anyone know what is going on with most of the banner ads that the China Post has in rotation as its site? Or rather, the question is, why are they so hopelessly out of date?

This is my favorite, the Computex banner, which proudly announces the Taipei International Computer Show from June 3 - 7. That is June of last year. The banner has been out of date for 13 months and no one from the CP has caught it.

Or how about those MBA type programs that various universities run in Singapore?

Interested in attending the Wharton-SMU Executive Program? You may be a little late because courses were taught in April, July and August of 2002.

You may be a little luckier with the Stanford - National University of Singapore program. Their banner ad pops up a window detailing courses in the Executive Development Program that began in Nov 2002 and are already over. But you might able to contact them about the 2003 program.

Are you a contest junkie? Can you design web sites? Can you creatively put together a page that captures the essence of the topic: “A good neighbor: Taiwan in the global village”?

If so, you may be disappointed to learn that the contest is long over and the GIO has already announced the website design contest winners. www.gio.gov.tw/taiwan-website/ad/win

Doesn’t anyone at the China Post even look at their own website once in a while to check that everything is okay? Or can’t they get anybody to pay for any new ads and so they just keep up the old ones and hope no one notices? Whatever the reason, it sure makes them look like a Mickey Mouse operation.

Other Asian papers such as the Bangkok Post, the Straits Times, and the South China Morning Post will have to sharpen up their act. :wink:

So, some staff turnover at the Taipei Times might be a spinoff effect of the election. That’s an interesting angle. It also reminds me of another question: It seems to me that the turnover of foreign employees at the Taipei Times is lower than that at The China Post and The Taiwan News. The editor of TTs business section just left; he was there nearly three years, I believe. And there have been plenty of others at TT who can measure their length of employment in terms of years (okay, at least one year), whereas most of the people I’ve met who worked for the China Post and the Taiwan News measured theirs in months. Why is that? Is the workload lighter at the Taipei Times? Is the pay higher? Is the management, although often maligned, better? Do TTers have the fortitude to “stick it out”?

:laughing:

Is the workload lighter at the Taipei Times?

I’ll repeat:

Amount of foreign copyeditors on a single night for one copy of the paper:

China Post: 2
Taiwan News: 6 (updated figure; fact)
Taipei Times: 11 (updated figure; cha bu duo)

:laughing:

Is the workload lighter at the Taipei Times?

I’ll repeat:

Amount of foreign copyeditors on a single night for one copy of the paper:

China Post: 2
Taiwan News: 6 (updated figure; fact)
Taipei Times: 11 (updated figure; cha bu duo)[/quote]

Magnolia,

I just talked to an ex-China Post copyeditor and was told that there were some nights when only one copyeditor was available. Even so, the paper came out with only about as many typos as the Taiwan News or Taipei Times. I’ve also heard that in the “good old days” at the Post, there were three or four copyeditors, still a far cry from 11.

I used to spot a couple of factual errors in the Taiwan news everyday, Victoria being the smallest state in Australia, and the maps on the biligual page would make the TT proud, mid east ones were good, Kuwait as part of Iraq, Oman seemed to have sunk under a tidal wave etc…