English Road Atlas of Taiwan and motorcyle touring

Hi

I have a few questions

The first question is, is there an english road map of Taiwan?

I have a 150cc sym, is it possible to get bigger bikes over here without needing a mortgage?

And I’ll need to get a bike license for a bigger bike, how easy is this to do? (sorry if wrong thread)

Cheers
Stuart

[quote=“StuartCa”]Hi

I have a few questions

The first question is, is there an English road map of Taiwan?

I have a 150cc sym, is it possible to get bigger bikes over here without needing a mortgage?

And I’ll need to get a bike license for a bigger bike, how easy is this to do? (sorry if wrong thread)

Cheers
Stuart[/quote]

There are no detailled English road maps but you don’t need them. What you do is get a general map with the names of places in English and Chinese (a fold-out map maybe 2X3 feet is fine) and then a larger map like the Sunriver guide (2 volumes) available at Eslite. Use the fold out as your frame of reference to pinpoint routes and towns and main roads. As roads are numbered in Taiwan it is not hard to find them on the Chinese map once you have a general sense of where they are.

Your question on bikes should be made in the Vroom Vroom forum.

Stu, Mucha Man’s suggestion about the fold-out plus a more detailed map is good. The Sunriver ones, though great, are a bit unwieldy. I think a one-volume road map at 1:90,000 is better. There are a number of these available: basically the same map in different binding.

A standard motorbike/scooter license (it’s called “heavy” but that just means heavier than a 50) will cover you up to 250cc.

Even 250s aren’t cheap. New 250 scooters start at around 110,000NT; new 250 motorbikes at around 180,000.

I suggest you browse and search around the “Vroom, vroom” forum and gather some information. A lot of information has been posted on these topics before.