English-speaking computer repair

I couldn’t get in touch with the Nationwide company. I sent an e-mail and then later I called, so I took it to a local shop, and then Nam called me. Sorry I missed him. The shop I took it to is called Hung. They talk a lot and I don’t understand nary a word, so I just say, “fix it.” When my wife asked me where I took the computer, I said that I took it to that Hung guy. Then she volunteered to go talk to him about it. They did good work.

Hi, My name is Rusel and I was living in Sheffield before 6 months. I would like share my experience with the people who are looking for computer repairs or service of the computers . We had around around 120 pcs, majority Dell machines. We wanted to upgrade our all PCs and somewhat maintenance . So we gave this project to Computer repairs sheffield and trust me they have done the excellent job. The perfect work by fully satisfaction and proper follow up provided by them . Please do visit it for the great service of your computers.

I have been using a local Taiwanese guy who has excellent English ability and does repair for a living. If I have problems, he is prompt and inexpensive. I hesitate to post his number without asking but if anyone needs his service, especially in South Taipei County area, PM me and I will share.
BTW, since he works 7 days a week, he can’t usually show up until about 10:00 pm, which works well for me but maybe not others. Housecalls? Yep.

I called them. They’re complete SHITE! No way were they prepared to send a guy to Xindian to fix my computer. Useless. :thumbsdown:

2 Likes

Hi all,

Is Nationwide still operating? I sent them an email 2 days ago and no reply, also tried to call but keep getting voice mail.

Anyway, I need someone to build this for me: videoguys.com/Guide/E/Videog … dfda0.aspx

Please PM me any recommended contact, must be English speaking.

[quote=“ImaniOU”]
I have a HP Pavillion dv2000 with Vista. It is more or less inert when I turn it on. It could be a hardware malfunction (it got overheated a few times before I realized the external fan was not doing its job) or it could be a problem with software (I had a worm on it, and my anti-virus sucked at cleaning it out). Any contact information for someone who can both fix this problem and explain it in terms I can understand would be much appreciated as I have already wasted a week waiting on Nationwide to get back to me.[/quote]

ImaniOU,

I believe that many of the HP Pavilion laptop series had a design flaw, and HP has an extended warranty on those computers.  The symptoms you describe sounds exactly right.  It might be a bad NVidia chip that wasn't soldered in correctly.  That is the same problem with my dv4000, but unfortunately, HP hasn't admitted to flubbing on that model.  I think you might be able to inquire about it at an HP Center, and they might fix it for free. Doesn't hurt to try...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Pavilion_(computer

[quote]Overheating issue
Many notebook owners experience hardware failure in various Pavillion models due to overheating. The first symptom is usually a disappearing Wifi. Later failure of the graphics system and booting problems. HP does acknowledge this as a “hardware issue with certain HP Pavilion dv2000/dv6000/dv9000” notebooks, which is eligible for free repair. [7] Other users recommend a “resoldering” of the nVidia GPU on the motherboard.[/quote]

By the way, could anyone help me resolder my nVidia GPU?

It’s not something you can just “resolder” considering that the chips are using BGA packaging. They have hundreds of tiny little solder balls on the bottom and are fitted by special machines. There are a few people in special repair centers that might be able to help you out, but it may or may not work afterwards, as there’s no guarantee that it’ll fix it.

Many people claim success by stripping the motherboard of plastic parts and baking it in the oven for a few minutes. I’ve been told all that needs to be done is reflow the solder at the bottom of the chip (supposedly to rid it of fractures).

computerszine.com/baking-the-mot … ideo-issue

youtube.com/watch?v=jsmlALfEgPg

youtube.com/watch?v=9gb1ujGf … r_embedded

youtube.com/watch?v=RVWDru1b … r_embedded

But you’re probably right about a final solution. I’ve run this computer back and forth to four different locations with as many as 5 or 6 different (but confident) diagnoses and “fixes.” All this, and it still remains not fixed even now. It isn’t until recently that I’ve researched this online and figured out myself what the problem probably is. So I wonder now if these shops can fix it when I tell them about this as they seem unable even to get past the diagnoses stage.

This thread here describes exactly the problem my dv4000 laptop has:

notebookforums.com/thread178802.html

And this thread is where I’ve asked advice from American computer experts after detailing my problems very carefully, whereupon they finally decided I had a nVidia chip problem.

badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10805

Hmmm, Seems like a logical place to chime in.
I’m an experienced IT Support Analyst with a broad range of skills and knowledge. Extensive experience supporting and designing Active Directory, various operating systems and server platforms including Win NT/XP/7 to Server 03/08, Mac OSX, Various Linux distributions.
Certs held are MCITP:SA. MCTS x3, MCSA, MCP, Comptia A+ and N+ as well as ITIL V3. Not really offering services but just curious if there are any English speaking support companies out there that deal with Network admin or large scale Desktop support.

I’ve applied for a few jobs on 104 but my Chinese is typical fresh off the boat Englishman. Would be nice to keep my hand in on the sys admin side of things while I’m here though.

Anyone has any useful info I’d be happy to hear it
Ciao for now :thumbsup:

Yeah without a proper chinese it is difficult to find a job with 104…
May be you might have more success by applying directly to some foreign companies (or not).
In Neihu dist. there are plenty of companies, severals are english, french, german, and it is likely that they could hire a foreigner as a sys admin to comply their local system with the english, french, german, etc…IT system.

(Just my 2 cents)

I’m trying to reach Nam to see if he can help me with a Macbook battery and RAM upgrade. Any idea how I can reach him?

See PM

edited

Same here,
If you need help for your computer and you are close to Neihu, I could help you.
I’m more a GNU/Linux user than a Windows one, but I can still help.

And well…it will cost you…a drink or a xiao chi. xD

Hi, I hope this thread is still being monitored.

Would anyone still have recommendations for a local Taiwanese computer repair shop who speaks english? All your help would be highly appreciated.

For Macs and other Apple stuff, go to Tool Man off Shida Rd. He speaks English well, is nice, fast and it’s a nice shop. Way better than the clowns at the Apple store.

1 Like

I like how major manufacturer OEMs are responsible for their products like Apple does.

Hi, some promising people in this thread but it is like 10 years old. So, any recent hints for in-house laptop repair (software issue 95% likely) in Taipei? Ie like Geek Squad/PC doctor, with an excellent command of English?

Asus W90vp, upgrading to Win 10 caused network drivers to fail (everything else is A ok), and installing new ones is blocked by Windows, shuffling drivers from USB sticks just to see them fail gets old fast.