English speaking eye doctors

I’ve been looking around for an eye doctor who speaks English in Taipei and who accepts patients on Taiwan’s health insurance. There’s one place in Shilin a friend recommended (http://www.skh.org.tw/), but if anyone has some other recommendations it would help greatly.

I know about Taipei Eye Clinic but. unfortunately. it appears they don’t take Taiwan’s NHS. I thought NTU Hospital might be worth a shot since I already go there for something else.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Dr. Wang Lun-Yi, Dept. of Ophthalmology, Taiwan Adventist Hospital

He examined me for cataracts and high intraocular pressure, and performed cataract surgery on me, which has been an amazing success. I will have my other eye done later this year.

He speaks excellent English, and of course, the hospital takes NHI.

Most of the doctors at the major hospitals will speak English, at least enough for that, and they all take NHI, though some things may be what they call ‘self-pay’. They’ll tell you in advance if there’s anything the insurance won’t cover.

I would recommend Dr. Chu Hsueh-Yen who is an eye doctor (and also a surgeon) working at the Universal Eye Center in Shilin (link to their website). He’s a chief of that clinic. He used to work at Amsterdam Medical Center (AMC) in the Netherlands, so he’s fluent in English.
He’s also a friend of mine so you can let him know that you got that tip from Forumosa. :wink:

The clinic accepts patients with NHI coverage.

I’ve never met a doctor in Taiwan who hasn’t been able to speak enough medical English to communicate with patients. They might not be able to chat about politics, but they’ll be able to tell you what’s wrong and when to take your medicine. Go to any eye clinic, you’ll be fine.

I went to a clinic in Da’an a couple years ago and the doctor spoke english. I’ll have to try to find it.

What is weird is that the level of English ability always seems to vary by speciality.

I’ve never met an eye doctor, bone doctor, or proctologist who can speak any English. But every family doctor, psychiatrist, and entologist I’ve met speak fluent English.

1 Like

My urologist speaks excellent English, and my ophthalmologist, too. Most GP’s are also excellent in that regard. My proctologist refuses to offer a single word of English, though. He speaks only to my wife. He even gleefully calls her over when he’s opened my anus with one of his medieval instruments, to share in the joy of viewing my hemorrhoids.

Dentists are usually pretty good.

Guy

1 Like