English teachers in Korea face wrath of an angry nation

Teaching is not my gig, but thought some readers may find this story of interest. (Not sure if this subject was posted before).

English teachers in Korea face wrath of an angry nation

Mar 22, 2005

Canadian English teachers are among the main targets after a TV show painted a picture of foreigners in South Korea as an assortment of high-school dropouts, losers, drug peddlers and pedophiles.

A homegrown campaign urging foreigners to leave South Korea has prompted warnings for western visitors to stay away from certain parts of Seoul. The Seoul Times reported that demonstrations against foreigners are planned and an online petition to keep foreigners out of South Korea has already received thousands of signatures.

The US embassy, the paper said, has warned American citizens to stay away from certain parts of Seoul.

Gumper Math brings that in at 1.not much teachers per “institute”

Overall tho’, pretty chilling tale.

Time to flouridate the Korean water supply with Prozac.

Whenever I picture Korea, I get a mental image of this guy with Asian features:

[quote=“Rubicon Bojador”]Whenever I picture Korea, I get a mental image of this guy with Asian features:

[/quote]
Archie Bunker with Asian features? That’s my father-in-law! :laughing:

[quote=“4nr”] So this is a problem in Korea, but it is a problem that Korea has created for itself,

Glad I am in Taiwan. BTW, why are all Koreans called Kim? Is this the source of the problem? Imagine someone in Seoul shouting “Kim” at rush hour. Everyone will stop!
They have ugly fat dictators called Kim, girls called Kim, probably even their dogs …

And don’t forget Kim Chee…

u also forgot Park.

I wonder if the kimchi tastes better when the nation is angrier?

That report is disgusting tho, foreigenrs learning how to pickup the women online?? Really, the nerve. They should buy them from the shop window in the redlight district like everyone else!

[quote=“bob_honest”]Glad I am in Taiwan. BTW, why are all Koreans called Kim? Is this the source of the problem? Imagine someone in Seoul shouting “Kim” at rush hour. Everyone will stop!
They have ugly fat dictators called Kim, girls called Kim, probably even their dogs …[/quote]

kim = jin in chinese = gold…why they’re all called gold i have no idea…just hope this doesn’t set off a domino reaction and hit taiwan. altho’ since i currently have a western gf i guess it wouldn’t affect me so much… :slight_smile: …in light of the anti-japanese shit in china and vice versa may be we are entering an era of ultra-nationalism in north-eat asia…

[/quote]Archie Bunker with Asian features? That’s my father-in-law! :laughing:[/quote]

Oh, I know him…

This forthcoming movie might not help lighten Korea’s mood.

imdb.com/title/tt0408764/plotsummary

[quote=“Rory Butternuts”]This forthcoming movie might not help lighten Korea’s mood.

imdb.com/title/tt0408764/plotsummary[/quote]

:laughing: No…I’m betting that won’t…haha.

I’m tired of being nasty.

Yes Richard they would/will be offended I suppose. Reminds me of a conversation I once had with a group of Koreans.

Korean - What Asian countries have you visited?

Me - Japan, Thailand, Philipeans, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Taiwan.

Korean - What! Never been to Korea. How come westerners never want to go to Korea except to work?

I didn’t have the heart to tell him that, in my case at least, it was because 95% of the Koreans I ever met have been hostile, bigoted, chauvanistic, untrustworthy bastards. The other 5% have been among the best people I’ve ever met. Just personal experience of course but a lot of westerners describe Koreans as being “difficult.” There must be something behind it.
Culture shapes personality to some extent and Koreans certainly share a culture. If I meet someone from Korea tomorow will I give him the benefit of the doubt? Of course. Would I go to Korea on vacation? Only if you paid me.

I dunno. Actually I already feel a little guilty about my previous post because I generally like to make positive contributions to any conversation, but the experiences I have had with Koreans have been so nasty so consistently that I can’t help but conclude the problem really is with some aspect of their culture. It just seems to create unpleasant people. I’m not the only one to notice.

I haven’t noticed what bob has. Maybe I’m lucky. I’ve been to Korea and would go again.

Certainly understand there. The parallels to another thread which raised that this isn’t different from the other types of generalizations and bashing type of threads. Sooner or later this will go to the appropriate forum.

Making fun of Korean people’s surnames is stupid. You know who you are.

“All the Kims. Don’t forget the Parks!”

What the fuck? They’re just the more common surnames, just like Smith or Khan or Peters.

Don’t be a jerk and insult people’s names. Simple. Thank you.

Do Koreans in the western world generally behave well? I’m sure if you looked for evidence on the internet, you could find some.

Actually 914 the name thing is symbolic of the problem with Korean society. Too few names. Too little diversity. Too much pride, or shame, or whatever it is… All I know is that whenever I have met Korean (men in particular) I have had unpleasant experiences. Now there is this problem with foriegner bashing in Korea and all I can say is I’m not suprised. Please understand I am definitely NOT talking about race. Race means squat. The Korean Canadians I knew were really fun, smart people as it happens. But there is something about the history, economy, educational system etc. of that country that tends to create difficult, unpleasant people IMHO.

Actually I am already sorry I said anything about this even though what I said happens to be exactly what I think.