English teachers nabbed in drug-ring bust (Part 2)

Here’s another article talking about the case. It mentions death penalty in the headline but nowhere specifically about prosecutors pushing for it. It also mentions Forumosa, Pots and Frazier. However, rather bizarrely, it starts quoting drug prices in Viet dong . . . surely they should let Matty go home so he can teach the Cannucks geography and international trade before things get decidedly pear shaped.

HG

What’s going to happen? Canada break diplomatic relations? :laughing:

Way worse than that, Canada might cut off the flow of English teachers. I imagine it would cripple the economy . . . erh, the Canadian economy. It’s not all bad though, the locals might start actually learning some English. :smiling_imp:

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Way worse than that, Canada might cut off the flow of English teachers. I imagine it would cripple the economy . . . erh, the Canadian economy. It’s not all bad though, the locals might start actually learning some English. :smiling_imp:

HG[/quote]

:laughing: And don’t forget, the price of dope here will go up.

Common misconception. I’ve owned my own business in my own name, which included a tax number in my own name for issuing uniform invoices. I know of many foreigners who own property in their own names.

As the accountant I employed put it to the tax bureau: “Where does it say foreigners CAN’T have their own tax number?”

Of course not but it would create strains on their relationship and bad press internationally for the Taiwanese. It’s not in their best interests and it’s not going to happen, period.

Of course not but it would create strains on their relationship and bad press internationally for the Taiwanese. [/quote]

It might piss off the Canadians and maybe some in Europe but it wouldn’t bother anyone in Asia at all.

Of course not but it would create strains on their relationship and bad press internationally for the Taiwanese. It’s not in their best interests and it’s not going to happen, period.[/quote]

Canadians government officials speak loudly but carry a “tiny stick.” :smiling_imp: I doubt if any country in Asia would give a rat’s ass about Canada protesting. The two things of value that Canada exports, namely oil and lumber, are mostly run and owned by conservative-minded people anyways. :smiling_imp:

Less Canadian teachers working in Taiwan would be a positive development IMHO. :laughing: Less politically-correct drivel polluting the threads on Forumosa.

Oh dear, we do seem to get to this conclusion quite often. :laughing:

HG

How long do ya think it would take for that to be noticed?

I also think that the new government won’t be as sympathetic to people that break the law overseas. Lots of the old Reform people in the Conservative Party want mandatory sentencing implemented in Canada for a variety of crimes. I am sure this “law and order” mentality will spill over into some DFAIT appointments.

I think DFAIT officials will be taking a more “laissez-faire” attitude in launching formal protests over punishments for Canadians convicted in overseas countries. In other words, if a drug convict is sent to the guillotine, there will be a restrained response. The convicts will receive a more sympathetic response from the opposition and the CBC (same thing, right? :smiling_imp: )

Another story: now it looks like Canadian authorities will be cooperating with the Taiwanese to investigate this case.

asianpacificpost.com/portal2 … or.do.html

[i]Taiwanese authorities are planning to work with Canada to dismantle a Vancouver-based drug trafficking operation they say was run by an English language tutor from B.C. who is now facing trial before a court in Taipei.

David Yee-Wei Fan, intelligence chief of Taiwan

[quote]David Yee-Wei Fan, intelligence chief of Taiwan

A new oxymoron?

More seriously, I note from the linked articles above that Matty Forand’s father was refused permission to see his son, despite flying here from Canada to offer support during Matty’s trial. As the voice of foreign Taiwan do you not think this sucks?

[quote]An English teacher from B.C., who faces the death penalty in Taiwan pleaded with a judge to let him see his father who had traveled across the Pacific to offer support for his son.

“My father came from Canada to see me. I ask the court to give me a chance to talk to him,” said Mathieu Forand of Port Moody who has been charged with being in possession of 414g of cocaine, 515g of marijuana and hundreds of ecstasy pills. “I apologize to Taiwan,” the tearful 28-year-old told a judge at Taipei

Yeah man, it was absolutely ludicrous. Mr. Forand was sitting not 2 feet away from Matty during the trial but every time he tried to talk to him, he was scorned down. A rather brilliant forumosan then came up with the idea that he could be a surrogate ear thus allowing Mr. F to say what he had to say via him. All in all though, a shitty situation. For those who truly do care, Matty is doing much better than anyone could hope for. He is using his time constructively, reading books to broaden his knowledge on a wide variety of subjects. He is a stand-up guy and someone I am proud to know.

For those of you who called for his death…[profanity deleted by mod]

i see many people here mentioning james was a nice person. does it exonarates him from any crime he committed?

I see many people here mentioning james was a nice person. does it exonarates him from any crime he committed?[/quote]

Who is James? If you mean Matty, no, this does not exonerate him. Even nice guys make mistakes. He knew the crime, he’s doing the time.

I see many people here mentioning james was a nice person. does it exonarates him from any crime he committed?[/quote]

Who is James? If you mean Matty, no, this does not exonerate him. Even nice guys make mistakes. He knew the crime, he’s doing the time.

misread his name, indeed Mathieu James…

all this looks weird, especially what i read in one of the articles mentioned above where police claim he is the leader of an international drug ring. i wouldnt be surprised if he was set up by some real mafia-like drug trafficking ring… corruption is rampant in this country but, well, enough for the conspiracy theory…

he was in fact a very nice guy, he just got mixed up with the wrong people with the wrong sh@t. it makes me feel so gutted when i think of him sat in prison. such a waste :frowning: