English teachers will soon need gov't licenses in Taibei

Alarmist titles get your attention though, right :slight_smile:

If they made it less of a hassle for qualified teachers, and more of a hassle for illegal teachers (instead of the other way around like now…), that would change a lot…

Any of you English teachers who might be worried by her crusade should take heart from the fact that, as she so proudly proclaimed, she’s only the daughter of a taxi-driver, and won’t be able to draw on high-powered family support for her cause.

[quote=“littleiron”]
If they made it less of a hassle for qualified teachers, and more of a hassle for illegal teachers (instead of the other way around like now…), that would change a lot…[/quote]

You’re right about that one!

Given that so many people teach English in Taiwan illegally at the moment, I would expect the same degree of success in enforcing any new regulation.

If they do bring in a new regulation, and require standardisation, you can bet Taiwan will not accept internationally accepted certification such as CELTA or the Trinity Certificate, and will instead come up with its own “TELTA” which will be written entirely in Wu Yong Pinyin and cost mucho dollars to get, and further increase the supply of illegal teachers.

Of course bushiban owners will sort this all out in a dark smoke-filled room with the relevant government and law enforcement agencies, hong baos will change hands, and the gravy train will continue on schedule. The general level of English language proficiency in Taiwan will remain low, and bushiban owners will continue to shaft their staff.

SNAFU.

Like everything else in Taiwan in a few weeks it will blow over and everyone will forget about it.

Fabulous article. Only just read it. A 27-year old Taiwanese ex-bushiban owner is going to set up assessments for foreign English teachers. Bearing in mind that what the average bushiban owner knows about English teaching could be written in block capitals on the back of a postage stamp, this will be very interesting. And an ex-Sesame Street franchisee ! I wonder if she has come across the word “hubris”… ? (And where did a lowly taxi-driver’s daughter, as she likes to portray herself) gather up the money and connections to buy and operate a bushiban frnachise ? No matter. Taiwan’s inquisitive and thorough fourth estate will soon reveal all…)

Well, it’s just a proposal by a newly elected councillor so it stands little chance of coming into effect. (Even if it were to come into effect it might not necessarily be enforced).

That said, while I disagree with the exact proposal of the councillor I would not disagree with some proposal that rewards teachers with qualifications. For example, teachers with a minimum level of qualifications and experience could get an open work permit. Those without any qualifications would have to go through the current rigmarole. This would not necessarily stop unqualified teachers from teaching, but it might attract qualified teachers and lift the standard of teachers in Taiwan.

The TT does not seem to have her “exact proposal” in the article. I could get more details from her if needed since I work with her sister and have met Ms. Lu. She seemed like a rational, intelligent person before the election.
Let’s remember, this is the Taipei Times we’re relying on for our details.

hexuan wrote [quote]If they do bring in a new regulation, and require standardisation, you can bet Taiwan will not accept internationally accepted certification such as CELTA or the Trinity Certificate, and will instead come up with its own “TELTA” [/quote] Well said. Taiwan must be the only country in the English learning world where a BA Greenkeeper grad can legally work before a CELTA holder! Go figger. If she changes anything, maybe she should add certificates such as these to the green light zone.

She’d be better of value trying to implement a law which would stop her old man and his bettle nut chewing taxi driver buddies from chewing behind the wheel.

perhaps some qualification process will be required for a bushiban owner, currently the qualification is being a living breathing person–though I’m not 100% sure about this–and the ability to buy some textbooks at the corner bookstore.

Do you think our eager young neophyte councillor could possibly have her sights set on being the one authorized to operate her proposed system of compulsory training and certification for would-be foreign teachers? That would be lucrative, wouldn’t it! I’m sure it would rake in the money more quickly and easily than running a tenth-rate kiddies’ bushiban. Or am I being too cynical?

what kinda test will it be?did they say at all

Where Taiwan is concerned it’s impossible to be too cynical.

[quote=“blueface666”][quote=“almas john”]Boss Hogg,

You said “further exodus” of teachers. I wasn’t aware that the number of teachers had declined; do you have info on this? I live in Chaiyi and the number of foreigners has increased over the last five years. Many small cities that were once without big-noses now have several (usually South Africans).[/quote]

The Boss was quoting me and many of my longtime/experienced teacher friends HAVE left…and they’re now teaching in China. The pay and benefits are getting better and there’s less paperwork for visas.[/quote]

I would be interested to hear more about teaching in China. I’ve never met anyone who taught English in China (despite spending 6 months in Shanghai) but I’ve seen some pretty laughable ads for teachers. Anything between RMB3k to RMB7k per month. Literally wouldn’t pay the rent.

So pessimistic … lighten up, guys.