English terms for ROC public officials

Is there somewhere where I can go to look up the ‘official’ translation for various public officials? In particular I’m looking for ‘approved’ versions of the titles below, but a reference resource for the future would also be handy.

鎮長
鄉長
里長
村長 (is there such a thing?)

Many thanks in advance.

[quote=“Taffy”]Is there somewhere where I can go to look up the ‘official’ translation for various public officials? In particular I’m looking for ‘approved’ versions of the titles below, but a reference resource for the future would also be handy.

鎮長
鄉長
里長
村長 (is there such a thing?)

Many thanks in advance.[/quote]

鎮長 Guy who gets the real money
鄉長 White glove
里長 Bag Man
村長 Fall Guy

I tried government websites, an ROC yearbook etc., and couldn’t find anything official. I do have a listing in my 萬用英文手冊 publ. by 陽明書局 for government levels and titles, including:
(p.212)
區長 head of ward
村長 commissioner
里長 head of subward
鄰長 head of tithing (sic)
and
(p.211) 鎮 is given as ‘town’ and 鄉 as ‘village’.
Don’t know if that’ll help; I wouldn’t have translated them this way myself…

[quote=“Dragonbones”]I tried government websites, an ROC yearbook etc., and couldn’t find anything official. I do have a listing in my 萬用英文手冊 publ. by 陽明書局 for government levels and titles, including:
(p.212)
區長 head of ward
村長 commissioner
里長 head of subward
鄰長 head of tithing (sic)
and
(p.211) 鎮 is given as ‘town’ and 鄉 as ‘village’.
Don’t know if that’ll help; I wouldn’t have translated them this way myself…[/quote]

A valiant attempt sir, my thanks. By the by, I’ve translated 鎮 as ‘urban township’ and 鄉 as ‘rural township’ as that seems to be the closest to a standard there is (and it’s what Wikipedia uses).

The RDEC’s Bilingual Living Environment Service System (BLESS).

Corrupt, self-agrandizing irresponsible dickheads, perhaps? :fume:

I’ve got a list of the official GIO-sanctioned translations at work, I’ll get them up here tomorrow or Wednesday. But yes, zhen is urban township and xiang is rural township, although the distinction is not always necessary in the English.