English to Chinese translator recommendations?

Can anyone recommend a high-quality E->C translator (native Chinese speaker) or translation firm which can handle a 20-page user guide which includes some E-banking and legal terminology? A Taipei location is ideal but not required.

A friend has asked me for recommendations, but I haven’t made use of anyone’s services in this area. We don’t want to start by posting this in the job classifieds, because we’d (she’d) like to get recommendations from people who have used such services before taking the next step of contacting firms or individuals.

Also, what is a standard price range for this kind of stuff, per word of the original?

Very sorry, I know this has probably been asked before, but I tried a quick search and couldn’t find the info quickly, and I’m in a big hurry right now. :blush:

EDIT: I’ve since located this older threadwhich had very limited info, but if the mods want to merge my post with it, that would be a good place for it. :blush:

Sorry I can’t help you but:
PM Ironlady. I’m sure she would know.
Try Feiren as well.

If you still need to find a company, send me an email. I know of a good company in downtown Taipei.

However, it is Friday night as of the time of this posting, and I don’t think they are open over the weekends.

The translation department of Winkler Partners here in Taipei provides translation services (E-C and C-E) directly to the public at competitive rates. We specialize in legal translation, and have particular expertise in the areas of banking & finance, capital markets, and insurance. Feel free to contact us at www.winklerpartners.com)

I’d recommend my wife, who specializes in banking and finance translation (she worked in the Banking Bureau before, and most of her main clients are banks or banking institutions), but I’m afraid she’s already snowed under with work and wouldn’t be able to accept it.

For your reference, she charges NT$2.5 per source word, which I think is far too little, but is close to the upper limit of what the local market will bear for E to C (though barely a third of what I would expect for comparable C to E work).

Thanks, I’ve actually had two recommendations of Winkler Partners.

Again, this is all being posted for a friend, and I’m passing it all along to her. :slight_smile:

Winker are excellent, but “competitive rates”? compared to the market? Most E>C work would be in the NT$1-2 per word tops range (and I mean qualified people too); is Winkler really in that range? I can’t imagine it, but I could be wrong.

Working directly with a freelancer is generally going to be the best balance of value for money, because of lower overhead, direct accountability, and sometimes tax issues.

[quote=“Hartzell”]If you still need to find a company, send me an email. I know of a good company in downtown Taipei.

However, it is Friday night as of the time of this posting, and I don’t think they are open over the weekends.[/quote]

Might as well post your recommendation in the thread, for the benefit of others who come along later looking for this kind of service! :slight_smile:

My wife’s a translator and writer with about 15 years of freelance experience in a variety of fields. She charges between NT$2.5 and NT$5.5, depending on the nature of the job. Like Omni’s wife, though, she’s snowed under. Her schedule is full through the end of January next year so far, I believe.