English words for Chinese festival vocabulary

“sticky rice cakes” :in hawaii we used the japanese term of “mochi” which is prolly a cognate of “moachi” balls which a speciality of hualian.

I couldn’t either figure it out what zongzi is. You didn’t mean "

I don’t think I have gotten any answer from any one…[/quote]

Well, you asked about the flags, which you can buy with guanxi - also look at the other items in the ‘shops’ section. You can get an avatar, a signature, change the colour of your name etc. etc. You could also enter the lottery, bid at auctions, put your guanxi on time deposit at the bank to earn “interest” or shower your guanxi on the impoverished masses :slight_smile:

[quote]I couldn’t either figure it out what zongzi is. You didn’t mean "

[quote=“GangGo”]

[quote=“daasgrrl”]

Well, you asked about the flags, which you can buy with guanxi - also look at the other items in the ‘shops’ section. You can get an avatar, a signature, change the colour of your name etc. etc. You could also enter the lottery, bid at auctions, put your guanxi on time deposit at the bank to earn “interest” or shower your guanxi on the impoverished masses :slight_smile:[/quote]

Thanks. :wink:

[quote=“Bu Lai En”][quote]

The standard translation to English (at least in ESL textbooks) is ‘rice dumplings’ or ‘sticky rice dumplings’.

Brian[/quote][/quote]

shui jiao are dumplings, the outside layer is made from flour.
tang yuan with fillings are also like a kind of dumplings, its outside layer is made from powdered rice. rice dumplings sound a little like the tang yuan.
How about “dragon boat dumplings”? heheheheh

[quote=“Cellist”][quote=“GangGo”]

[quote=“GangGo”][quote=“Cellist”][quote=“GangGo”]

[quote=“Cellist”]you can not tell from the appearance if they are boiled or steamed,
you have to ask the person who make or sell them.[/quote]

Either way, I recommend the ‘traditional’ method for reheating them - microwaving! :smiley:

[quote=“daasgrrl”][quote=“Cellist”]you can not tell from the appearance if they are boiled or steamed,
you have to ask the person who make or sell them.[/quote]

Either way, I recommend the ‘traditional’ method for reheating them - microwaving! :smiley:[/quote]

My husband and I do not like to “nuke” our food, we think the rice cooker is the best. :wink: