English words with different meanings in Chinese (Taiwan)

I have the “Insta-dict” with the Oxford English Dictionary built in and a Longman dictionary card.

I looked up toast. The first entry is a verb. Translated back on the dictionary it says to bake, to roast, to toast. The Chinese word is Kao. Then there are a few similar words. Then there is the word toast as in

Toast is a good one. I think in ‘Taiwan English’ it just means thickly sliced bread.

Here’s an obvious one:
‘Hello’ - people who don’t speak a word of (real) English, say this all the time and it means ‘hey/oi/excuse me’, not ‘good day’.
MC - menstrual cycle not DJ “jintian bu yao, wo you MC” or something
NG - can;t quite figure this one out, but it’s something like ‘offcuts’

Brian

[quote=“Sir Donald Bradman”]
NG - can;t quite figure this one out, but it’s something like ‘offcuts’
Brian[/quote]

It means bloopers or outakes, it’s short for No Good, which they don’t use in English…

711 put out some toast products recently, NT$15 for a piece of buttered bread, and they spelled it BUTTER TOASS, i called them up on it, and they changed the packaging to the correct TOAST although it is NOT toast.

Hey, Saddam, you’re toast!

I believe the taiwanese picked up this incorrect use of toast from the Japanese who call all breads “toastu” – so blame it on our friends in Tokyo.

NG means No GOod, ie, this take was NOT GOOD< cannot use it.

what does sng ON TV MEAN…SNG?

I asked my wife, but when I ask her to explain chinese to me it’s like asking her to explain quatum physics, let’s see if I got this right:

bready products with cream and buns and the fancy things they sell in bakeries is mian bao = bread.

rectangular/sliced/plain bread = toast.

So chinese define bread or toast by the shape, not what it’s made of.

Anyone concur ?

maybe it’s Satellite News Gathering
Also a company that makes Tv vans and stuff which is where I always see SNG, Those might be the same SNG, I have no idea.

Is SNG the name of a channel or programme too ? Or is it just on vans ?

i heard it stands for LIVE broadcasts, and one meaning i heard was SIMULTANEOUS NEWS GATHERING. Maybe Satellite is correct, too.

I see it on tv screens all the time, this news segment is SNG, i.e. LIVE!

Also, ever noticed the pronunciation of the letter “N”? It’s not SNG, but S “un” G.

Another pronunciation phenomenon is that they never pronounce an acronym as a word, e.g., AIDS is always referred to as A.I.D.S., four individual letters. Samething with the latest SARS bug that’s going around.

Also Japanese-style pronunciation of the letters ‘L’ and 'F":

L-u, f-u

This thread is rapidly devolving. Ya’ll might want to start thinking about taking it over to tealit, where it would feel more at home. :unamused:

Actually serendipity, this is pretty much what I had in mind when I started the thread. If you have a problem with a particular poster, why not call them on it rather than insult everyone. If I misunderstood your post and you are a big fan of Tealit, sorry, I’m kinda slow.

I asked a friend about toast, actually about ‘tusi’, and she said that all bread is mianbao, but that bread from which one would normally make toast; i.e. square cut, sliced etc. is properly called ‘tusi mianbao’; so ‘the toast type of bread’. This gets shortened to tusi, hence the confusion.