Englishman new to Taipei!

Hi,

I have just changed jobs and have come to Taipei to live for a few years (or more). I am a 26 year old UK lad and until now was used to going out a lot in the UK.

I have been here for a week and it has suddenly hit me that I know absolutely no-one. Can anyone suggest any venues that are good for meeting people?

Cheers,

Chris

Hey Chris, come to the next Forumosa Happy Hour, 8:30 pm, Thursday April 8th (Maundy Thursday!) at Alleycat’s, (Forumosa’s default location for Happy Hours). Alleycat’s is located at No.6 Lishui Street, B1. Great food and drinks, and Alleycat has generously promised Forumosan’s a 10% discount on all items. :notworthy: :notworthy:

You’ll meet lots of new people, but don’t be shy - just come up and introduce yourself to a couple of the more talkative people, and you’ll be introduced to a bunch of people in a flash. :rainbow:

Chris,

Welcome to Taipei/Taiwan. I’m not sure what you mean by “going out,” but I agree that going to the Forumosa Happy Hours can help. Though, I’ve been here for about two years and have only gotten to two. So, maybe I don’t know whereof I speak… or, however the phrase goes…

If you are talking about clubbing, pubbing and such, there are clubs in Taipei – both gay & straight, depending on your preference. There are also pubs, etc… you can go to. Check out the Restaurant, Pubs & Clubs forum and/or ask around. I do know there is one bar in Tianmu that is “British.” Exactly what that means, I’m not sure. I’ve been there twice, but since I have only been to a few pubs in England, I’m not sure how much it will feel like home.

If you like movies, there is the movie-goers club via Forumosa. Maybe someone can tell him how to join, since I’m not a part of it.

You can also “troll” the threads and see if anyone here has similar opinions beliefs, interests, etc… as you. If you find someone, send them a private message (click the “PM” button) and see if they are interest in meeting.

Sorry I can’t be of much help. But, I tried. :stuck_out_tongue: I’m more of a homebody. However, I’ve realized I need to make a few more friends (For those who were following the drama of my “Adjusting to Taiwan” thread… I have made two more friends, Taiwanese and foreign… YAY for me! :laughing:) So, I just went to the last happy hour. I met one of the fine members of this forum and had a great chat.

If you decide to go to the next one, look for me and I’d be happy to chat with you (though, since I don’t know many of these guys by sight, I can’t introducte you). I’ll be the big, tall mountain with the beard… :sunglasses:

Carnegie’s is run by a Brit and plenty of Brits go there. If you say you like Carlisle United I think that Bob, the manager who is a mate of mine, will probably buy you a pint.

Anyone who expresses a sincere amount of sympathy for Carlisle United’s footballing troubles can get a free pint off me. Shit, what am I saying?

Bob

Anyone can join. Well, it’s actually not a club with membership or anything like that … if there is a movie event we will post it in the “Events” forum with details (day, time, location, etc) and anyone is welcome to join, just reply or contact the thread starter to make further arrangements (where to meet, how to get there …).

Thanks for the advice everyone - I’ll be sure to go to the next Happy Hour!!!

I may also pop down to Carnegies at somepoint over the weekend to claim my free pint of Bob. I actually support Crystal Palace but will be a secondary Carlisle United fan if a free beer is invovled!

Any more advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Chris

[quote=“christhomas”]Thanks for the advice everyone - I’ll be sure to go to the next Happy Hour!!!

I may also pop down to Carnegies at somepoint over the weekend to claim my free pint of Bob. I actually support Crystal Palace but will be a secondary Carlisle United fan if a free beer is invovled!

[/quote]

I’d advise you to correct your spelling above… it should read “free pint off Bob”… :wink:

[quote=“tigerman”][quote=“christhomas”]Thanks for the advice everyone - I’ll be sure to go to the next Happy Hour!!!

[/quote]

I’d advise you to correct your spelling above… it should read “free pint off Bob”… :wink:[/quote]

See, now being the ignorant, non-drinking American, I thought that “pint of Bob” was some quaint Brit slang for a pint of bitter (?), ale… whatever the hell you call it!

[quote=“QuietMountain”][quote=“tigerman”][quote=“christhomas”]Thanks for the advice everyone - I’ll be sure to go to the next Happy Hour!!!

[/quote]

I’d advise you to correct your spelling above… it should read “free pint off Bob”… :wink:[/quote]

See, now being the ignorant, non-drinking American, I thought that “pint of Bob” was some quaint Brit slang for a pint of bitter (?), ale… whatever the hell you call it![/quote]
Sorta like the old chestnut about how Dr. Pepper comes in quarts. . . .

Sorry - will watch my English from now on.

I managed to find my way to Carnegies last Friday - what an eye opener! However, Bob was not in sight and the evening set me back a small fortune!

I will probably being going a few more times to Carnegies. Do you have any loyalty schemes Bob (ie gold cards) for secondary Carlisle United fans?

Chris,

Sorry, I was in Singapore at the weekend. We do have Gold Cards. Come down tomorrow night (Ladies’ Night - you’ll enjoy it if you thought Friday was an eye-opener) say 10.30 pm. I’m always on the door on Wednesdays. You get me a pint, affirm your position as a secondary Carlisle United supporter and we’ll take the Gold Card thing from there.

Cheers,

Bob

Cheers Bob,

I’ll be there at 10.30!

I got Bob’s name card once, but it wasn’t gold. As a fellow long-hair I think I deserve better treatment than that. Maybe I should come to lady’s night tonight?