Entered visa-free, what happes if you stay beyond 30 days

If a US/UK citizen entered Taiwan visa-free and stays beyond the 30 days,
what will happen to him? Can he be fined upon departure? Will he have
a hard time entering Taiwan next time?

He holds both US and UK passports. (UK citizen who became naturalized
US citizen many years ago) Does it make it any difference which one he
uses to enter Taiwan?

I realize he can get a visa before going, but he currently resides in city that
is 8 hours away(by air) from the nearest Taiwan embassy/consulate/rep. office.

Thanks!

So you are planning to overstay? To ask such a question gives us some idea of your …
Keep it legal. Try to get a 60-day visitor visa.

He will be fined upon departure. Depending upon the length of his overstay, the fine could be as high as 10 000 NT. His passport will be stamped accordingly, and yes he will have difficulty getting back into the country. I believe the length of the ban is 1 year for every month overstayed.

He should do what Almas J said, get a visa, be legal. He may have noticed there has been a great deal of discussion about the English teachers’ reputation in these threads . He should be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Or if he must stay longer than 30 days, why not take a nice trip to a nearby country, turn around and come back in on another 30-day entry visa? That should be possible, right? Particularly if he was going to stay only a short additional time and had some kind of reasonable-sounding explanation for needing to come back in. I wouldn’t give much for your chances of doing it five or six times in a row (although people probably do) but once might be okay. Anybody have experience with this?

My only experience was a visa run to Macau last year. It was all very wink wink nudge nudge. Everyone knew what was going on. They even had someone interview me and give some tale about how I wouldn’t be able to get a resident visa while in Taiwan.

Yes, he should be able to do it once. After that they will probably give him a difficult time.

nevermind, he’ll break up his stays as follows… 3 weeks in TPE, 2 weeks in Tokyo, 3 days in Seoul, then another 2 to 3 weeks in TPE.

I assume this is acceptable? :smiley:

[quote=“creamypanda”]nevermind, he’ll break up his stays as follows… 3 weeks in TPE, 2 weeks in Tokyo, 3 days in Seoul, then another 2 to 3 weeks in TPE.

I assume this is acceptable? :smiley:[/quote]
When TECO is involved, who can say?

TECO doesn’t have to be involved if he does it that way; he could enter on a landing visa on the US passport both times. I doubt it would be an issue, especially if it’s not a fly-to-another-country-and-then-right-back-to-Taiwan thing. Preparing some sort of logical and/or plausible reason for coming back the 2nd time wouldn’t hurt, though. I don’t think they would be too suspicious if there aren’t a lot of Taiwan visas or entries in the passport already.

One of the Forumosans has done this for years with no problem, until quite recently when he arrived at a very unusual time late at night when only the “diplomatic” immigration queue was open, at which point, with no pressure to process lots of passengers, the officials decided to give him the third degree. After a period of hassle and hustle, he was finally allowed in.

Chris is talking about me. I have been popping out and back again for a year, since I was advised by staff at the Taiwan visa office in Hong Kong not to bother applying for a visa. Sometimes I have only gone into the transit lounge in Hong Kong and then flown back on the very same plane. Now I have a job lined up and hopefully will have an ARC by the end of September.

[quote=“Taichung Social Club”]He will be fined upon departure. Depending upon the length of his overstay, the fine could be as high as 10 000 NT. His passport will be stamped accordingly, and yes he will have difficulty getting back into the country. I believe the length of the ban is 1 year for every month overstayed.

He should do what Almas J said, get a visa, be legal. He may have noticed there has been a great deal of discussion about the English teachers’ reputation in these threads . He should be part of the solution, not part of the problem.[/quote][code]

these are not facts unless you have a valid reason such as doctor or hospital notes for overstaying
also those who to intend to overstay are just wankers who fuck things up for the rest of people and down to the ignorance of these people causes visa problems and rule changes for others[/code]