Entry permit to visit son in Taiwan

Hi Everyone,

My son has been living in Taiwan for some while now, and I think he has got mixed up with some very bad people and is doing some very bad things.

I would like to travel to Taiwan to help him, but the airline is saying I need a permit. Is there some permit I can apply for and how long does that take?

Others may be more up to date on the current situation, but if you do not have Taiwanese residency or some kind of work permit/student visa, it may be very hard to enter the country at the moment.

Visiting immediate family in Taiwan is a reason to get an entry permit.
OP may need a copy of the son’s ARC.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your concerns about your son. I hope it turns out to be a misunderstanding.

I think what the airline needs to see is a visa (in your case, visitor). What this requires depends on your nationality, but because of COVID you can’t get it on arrival (or be exempt) if that is what you’re used to. I believe (and @tando agrees ) it is possible to get a visitor visa, but as @ranlee points out it will be hard.

How long this will take depends on a lot of things, and I think the best way to start would be to contact the closest TECO (i.e. Taiwanese embassy). I’m currently waiting for a visa application appointment in late January, because there was a two month backlog for processing the visa applications at the local TECO (in Canada) when I phoned to ask about the resident visa process. I have seen a discussion on Forumosa about administrative backlogs in TECO Los Angeles as well. The processing time is probably a week, plus however long it takes you to get your documents together, so the whole thing could take you from one week to a more realistic 2 months or longer. Once you have the visa, you can get a ticket and also arrange your mandatory pre-flight COVID test.

As soon as you arrive in Taiwan there is a mandatory 2 week hotel quarantine. This is for all arrivals, there are no exceptions. I believe there is a further 1 week of residential self isolation that you would have to do in a hotel, having no suitable residence of your own.

5 Likes

You will definitely need a copy of your sons ARC, and likely a letter inviting you to come to Taiwan as his guest, which could be a problem in your case, if he is mixed up with the wrong people.

What city is your son in? Do you know how to find him on arrival?
Maybe someone from here can help or check in on him.

I dont think my son can help me get the permit, he doesnt want to walk to me.

My understanding is that he lives in Taipei with some black people, I will try to get some pictures of his neighbourhood and perhaps someone can recognise where it is.

If someone could go and walk around close to his home, and when finding him perhaps make an intervention that would be greatly appreciated.

I will find some pictures of him and his neighbourhood, wait.

Like what?

I have a feeling this won’t be greatly appreciated by your son.

2 Likes