Environmental thoughts while bike riding

Living in Taiwan for over a year now, I thought I have seen it all. But nothing could prepare me for this sight. I have seen the occational plastic bottle, plastic bag or living room furniture on the side of the road. I guess that is the Taiwanese way for solving unemployment problems. But when I saw this last Saturday, I was speechless and just wanted to cry.

What is this stuff anyway. Looks like an old oil barrel, but does old oil get that hard? It looks like it is still pooring out of that can. It did smell oily, but I did not dare touching it. Any thoughts?

I remember riding my scooter down Yangminshan -actually, the point where Wuchishan and Yangminshan connect -a very pretty area- and a guy had his van pulled over and, looking around very nervously as he did this, used a shovel to unload what must have been 2 tons of broken up bathroom floor tile and crushed cement over the side of a cliff, into what is/was pristine forest cover on the mountain side. He looked nervous, but shameless. My cell phone wouldn’t work up there, tried to call police. So, basically, the photos are not surprising.

goddam that is fucked up. its a shell barrel - send the images to shell taiwan and HQ… i know there is little they can do but the shame alone is worth it. send to taipei times perhaps?

Not suprised, tons of broken glass up there as well. Wondering if somebody would buy it. Isn’t old glass worth something here? Isn’t Yangmingshan a national park? This guy really had nerves. Too bad you could not get the cops there.

Good suggestions, I will have a look into that. I was actually thinking about similar steps, but not sure where to start. It is really a shame. Just not sure if it is worth the hassle. But I guess sending out an email is not much hassle anyway.

service@epa.gov.tw
lubstaiwan@shell.com

[quote=“AWOL”]service@epa.gov.tw
lubstaiwan@shell.com[/quote]

The EPA is an excellent thought. I will make sure that the photos will find its way into their mailbox. The email addy for the taipei times seems to be :

letters@taipeitimes.com

Unfortunately, the full-sized images are at home, so it will have to wait until this evening.

as a tip - i have found that a good way to get a response is to make sure each of your recipients knows who else the mail has been sent to - so no bcc’ing people. this way the epa can see you have sent the mail to TT, CP, Next mag etc. sparks them into action.

send it to the mayors office as well… taipei or taipei county depending on where exactly the barrels were.

[quote=“AWOL”]as a tip - I have found that a good way to get a response is to make sure each of your recipients knows who else the mail has been sent to - so no bcc’ing people. this way the epa can see you have sent the mail to TT, CP, Next mag etc. sparks them into action.

send it to the mayors office as well… Taipei or Taipei county depending on where exactly the barrels were.[/quote]

Thanks again, I will make sure that everybody is aware of who got this email. I will try to make it address all the organizations in the text as well.