EPA overturns NT$1.24 billion fine imposed on Formosa Chemicals

Just another reason why pollution in Taiwan will never stop.

The 關係 is strong with this one

6 Likes

The Effluent Protection agency doing its job.

7 Likes

Reminds me of when Chiang Kai-shek’s Opium Suppression Bureau produced the best quality opium in all of China. You really couldn’t make this shit up.

3 Likes

I dunno. Considering it’s a question between the reliability of the EPA and the Changhua County government, I’ll wait to see all the facts

If anyone else is interested in reading more about some of the fun and games Cash My Check got up to.

1 Like

Normally I’d agree. But I already know too much about this. gulp My reading is Tsai Yingwen has told the EPA to cut Nanya and FPG and Taipower and Taiwan Semiconductor and all the big polluters maximum slack and to put every loophole into play. She gives zero fucks about the environment and is committed to allowing big business to ruin Taiwan’s environment. I don’t know why.

Here’s one of literally thousands of smoking guns: https://g0v.news/open-data-vs-taiwans-largest-petrochemical-plant-d6a62ee35fc7

One key quote: “over 25,000 instances of the plant exceeding gaseous pollutant and particulate pollutant emissions standards [were found], with more than 250 instances where the government was supposed to levy fines for exceeding emissions standards. But not a single fine was levied against the company. And when they compared their data findings to the EPA’s, they were shocked to find all instances of the plant exceeding emissions standards had disappeared.”

5 Likes

The national EPA is under the Ministry of Economic Affairs(or at least it was recently ), it does what it’s told.

I remember when the EPA head was enthusiastic when their ability to block industrial projects was reduced!