Eslitebooks.com: so close, yet so far away

Scoped out www.eslitebooks.com hoping against hope that there would be English on their site (after all, they sell English books – no such luck.

Then I was hoping that the search function would work so I would know if titles I find on Amazon are available here. Nope. Soon I hope – being able to search their inventory would be real useful.

I also hope that they computerize their video store, and allow us to search for titles in English that result in their Chinese titles. Shouldn’t Blockbuster (Taiwan) do that?

quote:
Originally posted by Still learning Chinese: [b] I also hope that they computerize their video store, and allow us to search for titles in English that result in their Chinese titles. Shouldn't Blockbuster (Taiwan) do that?[/b]

AFAIK, you can do that at Blockbuster. I have in Banqiao. You can also look at http://www.hkmdb.com/tranlist/title-f/ If you use Internet Explorer, you’ll probably have to force the page into Big5 Chinese by using View – Encoding – Chinese Traditional (Big5). Click on any of the letters of the alphabet in the white area for listings, arranged by English name. The list looks a little old, but it may still be useful. Usually the translated titles are boring, but sometimes they’re fun, as with Babe I and II.

For bookstores, the following isn’t relevant to your particular question but I think lots of people can benefit from the link: http://www.sinica.edu.tw/~kiesch/taiwan.html
This lists bookstores in Taipei and provides some useful comments.

Awesome, Mr./Ms. laowai! THANK YOU! The English/Chinese video list will certainly come in handy!

Does anyone have a copy of the “Schwarzenegger Movie Titles in Chinese” that went around the Internet a couple of years back – that was hilarious!

quote:
Originally posted by Hobart: I am afraid that this might not be too useful as I heard that each Chinese area renames the movie to make a relevant title for their locale. In HK a US movie may be called one thing, but in Taiwan it may be called something else, and in China another name.

Quite true. The site I mentioned, however, gives Taiwan titles as well as HK ones. Where no Taiwan title is given, the name is the same as the HK one, I think. But even a title exclusive to HK might be enough to help someone at a video store figure out what you want.

FWIW.
–Mr. Laowai