Esun Bank Credit Card isn't a credit card at all!

A charge card is a type of credit card.

Yes, you are mistaken. It is very clear that their policy is only for foreigners. The lady also explained that to me and it’s listed clearly on their webpage.

When I looked at their webpage, it said that your bill must be paid in full and there is no revolving credit, but it didn’t say that this only applies to foreigners. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place, can you direct me to the correct place?

It is listed in “foreigners area.” Go outside of that and you can find the different possible rates, cash advance fees etc…

2 Likes

I don’t want to say every Taiwanese person is like this, but this is a common attitude I end up experiencing with companies and support.

Years ago I fought the cell phone company because they wanted a guarantor for foreigners. On a no-contract service. They would rather not have my support if it means they need to take a chance on me.

I won, but it took many many many trips to the telco regulator. It’s the same story every time. They will only take your business if you restrict yourself to the point that you’re not a risk. The credit score here means nothing. You’re a dirty foreigner who can leave and fuck over the poor Taiwanese bank.

Penny wise pound foolish.

6 Likes

that is very suprising. i have an esun account and it is the better bank ive dealt with in Taiwan. First Bank gave me the most trouble, but e.sun was ok.
i have my salary there, maybe thats why.

1 Like

Yeah. You’re not owing them anything. You’re not a risk. You keep your assets with them, not your liabilities.

Here

Just found it, seems you are right.

Sure it’s not great, but many banks here won’t even give a credit card to a foreigner, so the fact that E.Sun will at least give a charge card means they are better than many already.

If you want to pick a fight, go walk into Huanan or Bank of Taiwan.

1 Like

Not worth it. Both of them IMO are not foreigner friendly.

Citi has always been good to me.

Same. I Als have my salary account with them. And they issued me an debit card and a credit card. The real thing not a charge card.
But I guess it’s mostly due to the fact that my former boss came with me to open the account. Guangxi makes a lot of things easier.

That’s what I mean. Awful banks for foreigners. If OP wants to complain, do so about one of these. Sure, nothing will change, but seems useless moaning about E.Sun when banks like Huanan and BoT exist.

Leave Southwestern China out of this! :rofl:

Guy

5 Likes

Stupid question, but how do I find out if the card I have with them is a charge card or credit card?

This is the point. Not just in banks, but in life.

When you get your bill is there an option to pay a minimum amount, or is the only option to pay the full amount? If you can pay a minimum amount (which you should never do), then you have a regular credit card, not a charge card. If you must pay the bill in full, you have a charge card.

6 Likes

Yup Esun is unique that way. Direct debit, must be debited from them not another bank, no cash advance option, and credit limit is max 1X your salary. If you make $60k you get $60k limit.
No leeway however they are one of the few banks thay extend credit to foreigners

1 Like

This was one shock coming to Taiwan. No company has a retention team like in North America. They just say ok, it’s cancelled

4 Likes

You want to also contact the FSC. Financial services commission. They have a contact form online. Although as others have said, there are much worse offenders. Government banks are the WORST which is ironic for all the lip service the government makes about making foreigners life easier.

Or they go and they make cancelling or deleting your info so unbelievably difficult you start threatening to sue. And the stonewalling… I hate the stonewalling.

By the way, you have the right to be forgotten in Taiwan.

2 Likes