Ethnic mix on TV/ in textbooks

I’ve just finished selecting artwork for an ESL textbook from a picture catalog. The pictures were rather simple, what is known as “clip art.” The thing that struck me was the high percentage of Blacks and the absence of Asians; for example about 30 percent of medical professionals were black. The textbook is for Taiwan so I would have liked to have put some Asian people in it.

I’ve also noticed that American TV programs and movies feature a very high number of African-American judges, doctors, and professionals. Is this just reflecting reality? Or is this the directors trying to provide positive role models for minorities and counteract negative stereotypes? If so, do you think it works? Why aren’t there more decent Asian roles in American TV shows and movies?

It happens slowly, but it’s happening. Lucy Liu and others. Blacks came first, then Latinos. Now it’s Asians. Give it some time. But u ask some good questions, sir.

How about Indians (and I’m not talking about Native Americans)? How many Indians have had major roles (or even minor ones)?

Edit: Oops. meant not

zero. tonto doesnt count. america is white bread effed up country, don’t forget. they killed all the real indians. they are inviz now.

Yet another great post from Winter that greatly adds to the intellectual discussion.

Speaking of Indians, the only one I can think of would be M. Night Shmalyan (sp?). Of course, he wrote and directed the movies he was in. And they were still minor parts.

I haven’t been in the states for an extended period for a while. I remember many people used to complain that minorities were under-represented… Is this no longer true?

One of the characters in Office Space was an Indian - which was realistic, as loads of people in computer programming in Texas are Indians. That shop owner in the Simpsons is an Indian.

White people make up 75% of Americans, blacks and Latinos around 12% each. Which only leaves about 1 - 2% “other”. So it’s not realistic to have Asians and Indians and Arabs showing up all over American movies & TV. Outside of San Francisco, L.A., and NYC, most of America is 99% white, black, or Mexican.

[quote=“almas john”]I’ve just finished selecting artwork for an ESL textbook from a picture catalog. The pictures were rather simple, what is known as “clip art.” The thing that struck me was the high percentage of Blacks and the absence of Asians; for example about 30 percent of medical professionals were black. The textbook is for Taiwan so I would have liked to have put some Asian people in it.
?[/quote]
Wondering why the publisher’s budget didn’t allow for original artwork, at least in part. Illustrators aren’t terribly expensive here as they may be in the west. I could have even hooked you up with a couple, Almas! :slight_smile:

I agree with Alien about this, Almas. I haven’t seen the clip art you will be using, but from looking at clip art in the past, I haven’t been too impressed. The clip art I have seen seems to radiate a generic, plug-in-illustration here fee. I believe that original illustrations could have added more to the text. And the illustrations could have been tailored to your specifications, ie–more people of Asian descent in the pictures (I.m tryin to be PC but I think you get my point.)

Alien, if you don’t mind sharing, what are some of the rates for illustrators in Taiwan. Are we talking about “foreigners” or “local” (Taiwanese)? The reason I ask is because I know some Taiwanese publishers have been outsourcing illustration work to artists on the mainland.

If you don’t want to post the info here, can you please PM me with some details.

Again, if you don’t mind, can you send me some contact info or links to Web sites or links to online portfolios for illustrators here in Taiwan.

Perhaps it is not too late, Almas.

Using Taiwanese illustrators instead of clip art, I believe that your wish can be realized.

There are programmes in the UK made by and starring Indians, “Goodness Gracious Me” and “The Kumars” come the mind, never saw the first one, but the Kumars are pretty funny. There are black doctors/judges/MPs. Showing 30% of doctors in UK being Indian is actually not so unrealistic. Do they show a higher proportion of minorities than in real life ? maybe, but that can only be a good thing,
On a side note, which was the first hollywood movie to portray a female figher pilot ? X-Men 2. They have existed for ages (female fighter pilots that is, not X-Men)

In Taiwan how many times have you seen a black MP/Doctor/Policeman/Postman/Toilet cleaner ? Or even a white one ?

me ! me ! someone need an illustrator?? :smiley:
I think I can do the job~~!! (Please? :cry: )
u can check out my website if you want :blush:

For small books (like Readers), double spread pages rates are around $3500. That is full colour. Total around $60 to 70 grand.
For proper textbooks, double spread pages about $5000.
Total quite a lot more, but worthwhile expenditure in publishing budget as good art sells books, everyone knows.
If you only need clipart, they go for anywhere from $300 per pic to $700 per pic with a bit more background detail.

I saw a few episodes of ‘Goodness Gracious Me’. It was a bit patchy, but one long-running sketch they had was very funny; it featured two Indian anthropologists doing fieldwork in Britain and observing the curious habits of the natives.