Ethnic prejudice by WSR official

Based on that translation from ironsnow he is either

a)Suffering from some form of mental illness. He’s basically calling for genocide against the Taiwanese.

or

b)Making a poor attempt at mockery. His words are so extreme that it’s hard to believe they are serious.

[quote=“Maoman”]
Mawvellous, you are really out on left field here. For a long-time foreign resident to not know that the Taiwanese have been systematically oppressed and excluded from power structures since the KMT regime installed itself here is to be deliberately obtuse. [/quote]

Maoman, I KNOW.
There was however a major shift starting from the mid-1980s. I guess a significant moment was the appointment of Lee Teng-hui as Vice-President. My point was simply that in Taiwan now, all groups are victims of ethnic prejudice and slurs. See for example DPP Presidential candidate Frank Xie’s 豬哥 comment.

[quote]
You’re not making sense here, Mawvellous. You say the WSR have justified fears of future retribution and yet have done nothing wrong. Then wouldn’t they be unjustified fears?[/quote]

The WSR do not have criminal responsibility as a group, many WSR have indeed done “nothing wrong”, in fact some of them were victims of the regime themselves. However, they may have “justified fears” (at least of how they would fit into a future Hoklo state) because of their ethnic association with the previous regime.

[quote]I agree with you on the DPPs “localization” policies - they were implemented and explained poorly, and of course there was a backlash. But absolutely there needs to be a de-sinicization of Taiwan - especially in government and government businesses. China is the only enemy threatening Taiwan. China is the only enemy increasing its missiles pointed at Taiwan year by year, even accelerating under a KMT president. China is the only enemy blocking Taiwan from forging diplomatic ties with other countries. China is the only enemy keeping Taiwan from achieving its political, cultural, and economic potential. China is the only enemy marginalizing the health of Taiwanese citizens by blocking their access to and participation in the WHO. China is the only enemy.
Why the HELL then, does Taiwan have a Chinese Nationalist Party, a China Airlines, a China Telecom, a China Post, etc? I understand why these appellations made a certain kind of sense in 1960. But in 2009, they’re ridiculous. Shame on the Chinese Nationalist Party. Shame on them for sweeping under the carpet their Raison d’être: a unification of China and Taiwan. Shame on anyone who pretends otherwise.[/quote]

That is such a confused argument.
China is a divided state (like East and West Germany or North and South Korea). True, the enemy in the past was the People’s Republic of China. However the “China” is Chinese Nationalist Party, China Airlines, China Telecom and China Post have nothing to do with the People’s Republic of China.
Taiwan most certainly is not part of the PRC. It does however have a Chinese cultural heritage. While I welcome efforts to promote local culture and language, I do not think it is necessary to systematically “de-sinicize”. China is after all very much a part of Taiwan’s past and present.
De-sinicization has other problems. It says to the WSR minority (who may still regard themselves as Chinese), that they their identity is “outside” that of the state. It also raises the question of what replacement identity you create, can anyone agree on what being “Taiwanese” actually means? Why should it exclude the possibility of being Chinese at the same time?

Feiren-also look forward to your reply.

sorry-double post

[quote=“Mawvellous”]

Feiren-also look forward to your reply.[/quote]

??

[quote=“Feiren”][quote=“Mawvellous”]

??[/quote]

You repeatedly claimed my girlfriend was “parroting” Guo Guanying, then when proven completely wrong you refuse to even acknowledge the fact. I would expect better behaviour from a moderator.

Again, in 2009, this is pure paranoia. We had 8 years of Hoklo rule. There was no genocide or even official discrimination.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]

Again, in 2009, this is pure paranoia. We had 8 years of Hoklo rule. There was no genocide or even official discrimination.[/quote]

Sorry, I shouldn’t have implied any fear of violent retribution. My point is how would WSR identity fit into a Hoklo state? Why is it not possible to acknowledge that Chinese heritage is a major part of Taiwan, both culturally and ethnically? Do you not also understand how denying “Chinese” identity might be seen as threatening to WSR?

Many Taiwanese friends (both BSR and WSR) have said they think relations between the two groups have got worse in the last 10 years. This is worrying for Taiwan’s future, and I think the DPP “de-sinicization” is an important reason.

Please also see my last reply to Maoman.

[quote=“Mawvellous”][quote=“Feiren”][quote=“Mawvellous”]

??[/quote]

You repeatedly claimed my girlfriend was “parroting” Guo Guanying, then when proven completely wrong you refuse to even acknowledge the fact. I would expect better behaviour from a moderator.[/quote]

OK. I apologize. She closely paraphrased Kuo. Happy?

[quote=“Feiren”]

OK. I apologize. She closely paraphrased Kuo. Happy?[/quote]

I have repeatedly told you that this was her own personal interpretation of what she read. Why can’t you just accept that? You have already made yourself look foolish once by wrongly claiming that she repeated the exact phrase that Guo used. Instead of simply apologizing you come back with yet another snide remark.

So of course I’m not happy. I thought moderators were supposed to set some kind of example.

You are arguing over semantics. It’s clear that she simply repeated what she heard on TV to you.

Your deficient understanding of Taiwanese history and society probably arises from being the kind of foreigner who resorts to ‘My girlfriend thinks…’ or ‘My wife told me…’ as some kind of valid basis for an informed view on these matters.

[quote=“Feiren”]You are arguing over semantics. It’s clear that she simply repeated what she heard on TV to you.

Your deficient understanding of Taiwanese history and society probably arises from being the kind of foreigner who resorts to ‘My girlfriend thinks…’ or ‘My wife told me…’ as some kind of valid basis for an informed view on these matters.[/quote]

No you are completely wrong. I simply raised her interpretation as an alternative view on the news story. I did not say it was the only valid interpretation. Instead of addressing why you think her interpretation was wrong, you claimed wrongly that she was simply repeating Guo’s excuse. When I told you this was not the case, you should have accepted this as you have no way of knowing differently. But you repeated the claim four more times. You also showed you do not know as much about the case as you claimed by making a basic factual error. You even showed yourself to be childish with your sarcastic “apology”.

My views on Taiwanese history and society are in fact based on my own reading and study, as well as my experience living here and conversations with Taiwanese people. They may be different from yours, but that is no reason for your personal attacks. Maybe you are resorting to personal attacks in desperation because you can think of no better response to the arguments I raised. It is telling that in this thread, you pretty much ignored all my other points (none of which came from my girlfriend :unamused: ).

Guo has been suspended from public service after admitting that he is indeed Fan Lan-chin, the pen name he was using to post anti-Taiwanese articles on the web. Good riddance, one less racist bastard in the civil service. :bravo:

He should not just have been stood down: he should be charged with treason and jailed on Green Island. Oh, wait: the torture chambers there have been closed down. Oh well, just place him in stocks on the road side in KaoHsiung with a truck of old eggs and rotten di gua to throw. For a month, for each instance.

Good for the Ma administration!

One side note: he’s been cashiered (免職) not just suspended, right?

When I read the news report earlier, it said suspended (停職), but now it says his punishment is 免職. In other words, he is fired. Good riddance, indeed.

Good to see that the KMT government took a few weeks to take care of it…

That was pretty fast compared to Diane Lee, but still looks like they tried to cover up as much as they could.

Today I saw a commentor on channel 58 saying that he was ashamed of the government for firing him, when he was only using his freedom of speech, and for the hunting by people to see if Kuo was in fact Fan. He said that if someone posts under a pseudonym, he wants to be kept anonymous, and therefore he should have the right to be anonymous. Of course, one can imagine if, like today’s editorial from the Taipei Times says, a public officer in Japan would write down, under another pen name, the words “high-class Japanese”.

One of the most interesting aspects of the case has been the many apologists who have come out in defense of Kuo.

Here are a few choice lines from his essays:

[quote=“Fan Lan-qin/Kuo Kuan-ying”]
Most people see being a half breed something to be ashamed of. The Taiwanese though are proud of it (The Great One [former gate inscription at CKS Memorial] on Half Breeds)

We are high class mainlanders! (Jiangcheng Circle)

Martial law was an example of benevolent administration by the government of that time. The Maokong Gondola doesn’t have any problems. If it does, it is vandalism by Taiwanese independence activists. (Ma and Hau, Watch Out! Taiwanese Independence Elements will Destroy the Gondola)

The big problem with Demon Island [guidao= Taiwan] is that ‘We can’t get our logic straight because of idiots’. ( Can We Rely on Idiots to Get Logic Right?)

Weak countries do not have foreign relations. Since Taiwan is not a country, it is even less capable of having foreign relations (Foreign Relations Shame the Guest)

After China uses force to protect Taiwan [i.e. invades Taiwan], there cannot be any discussion of political liberalization. Taiwan will need to be locked down and purged for many years. (Taiwanese Hicks Need Dictatorship

Demon Island [Taiwan] is a flasher who spends his whole day showing his dick in a dark alley. He even pays people to watch. As soon as the cops come, he runs away. (‘Piss off!’ On the Referendum to Join the UN)
There are 23 million people on this island of Taiwan. In general, 20 million of them are crazy [i.e. the native Taiwanese]. That’s a low estimate. (Crazy Island)

Long live the great Communist Party of China! If it wasn’t for the Communist Party’s protection of the Republic of China, the Republic of China would have been finished long ago. (Repay the Country! Restore the Republic of China)[/quote]

And just to put things in context, Kuo helpfully added this comment in his interview yesterday where he admits to be Fan Lan-qin:

Hilarious isn’t he? The DPP is just overreacting to a bit of good fun and repressing the right to free speech of a mainlander civil servant who was earning more than NT$200K per month.

Execute him for treason, and charge the CCP Central Committee for the bullet.

The guy is obviously a confused bigot with an enormous chip on his shoulder who should just be forcibly moved to Beijing, but on this one he’s 100% correct…

guess he needs to start lookin at the mirror, cause he is a big idiot who just thrown away is golden bowl.