Etymology of "bail/bale out"

Not sure there’s any “correct” here. If someone shouts “BAIL OUT!” you’re not going to be saying, “Wait do you mean B-A-I-L or B-A-L-E?” They’re just variant spellings of something no one has any idea how it got started, except that it’s something US pilots apparently just made up in 1920 or so.

1 Like

I meant predated the UK winter bale bombing referred to. Air drops per se probably predate the general use of the chute, IIRC TE Lawrence got resupply via Handley Page bomber and there are probably earlier exanples.

(https://www.epicflightcentenary.com.au/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2019/09/Stuart-Reid-Handley-Page-reaches-rendezvous-with-Lawrence-of-Arabia-AWM-ART14279_1.png)

1 Like

yeh. Never mind the quality, feel the thickness

I’m thinking Ram-bo: First Blood? A sheep snaps and goes on a ram-page after he is arrested and abused by sadistic cops which triggers flashbacks of when he was tortured in Afghanistan by mutton munching mullahs?

This brings us back to the etymology of crassula plants (from Latin crassus, thick):

4 Likes

Yes!!!

It needs more woke
I’m just workshopping here but what if at some point the ram transitions into a wolf? A reversal of the wolf in sheep’s clothing scenario.

1 Like

That American (informal) usage was likely an extension of the apparently mandatory American plane exit term

Not mandatory for me, so I feel I can chose which one to extend also

A black sheep who, after years of struggle and rejection, embraces his inner wolf… the story comes to a predictably tragic end when the sheep - I mean the wolf - walks into the lupine lavatory

1 Like

His todger is then ripped voraciously off and flies through the air and lands…in a pickle jar. Flashback and we are in 1763, we see Sir Percy Percy Percy of Percy who turns to camera and says, “The End?” The light fades and the credits roll. Cypress Hill begin to sing ‘When the sheep goes down, you better be ready.”

2 Likes

Agreed, but I thought we were just hobby-horsing around. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For a banker over seeing a mortgage crisis it could quite possibly be both meanings simultaneously. To differentiate the meaning you’d need to listen to the tones. Bail out would have a rising tone, bale out a falling and both at the same time would have a high tone.

2 Likes

Are you sure it wasn’t crassulaceous hill? :pleading_face:

2 Likes

We call them succulents over ere, gaffer.

2 Likes

In April 1916 No. 30 Squadron of the Royal Flying Corps carried out the first air supply operation in history. Food and ammunition were dropped to the defenders of Kut, but “as often as not their parcels go into the Tigris or into the Turkish trenches!”(Siege of Kut - Wikipedia)