EU wants Taiwan to end death penalty

I’m sure life in prison is more than bad and I wouldn’t want to be executing people without being 100pct sure they are the perps

I support it in principle, but the way it’s applied in the USA is totally racist. Blacks are three times more likely to get it than whites.

I’m generally opposed to it.

I’d hate to be the one in a jury, legal system, or politician to decide that someone has to die.

The EU can blow it out their ass

1 Like

It’s not a black thing, its a poor thing. Black people just tend to be poorer for various historical and structural reasons.

from www.bjs.com for 2016

*California, Florida, and Texas held 49% of death row prisoners
*5 states executed 20 prisoners in 2016, the smallest since 1991
*of 20 prisoners executed, 18 were white (2 of Hispanic origin) and 2 black
*Those under sentence of death in 2016:
white 55.4%, black 42.3%

Now, if you take, say 2015 data (year before, perhaps to take into account trial, etc.) on murders from FBI website, when race of offender is known, 53.3% are black, 44% are white.

So, your statement doesn’t match data.

1 Like

Despite being 13%…

1 Like

Cannot really say that.
if 50% of first-degree murderers found guilty are Z-race, then most likely 50% of death-row inmates will be of Z-race for states with the death penalty.
Now, if you want a separate discussion of Z-race on Z-race crime, then the stats are there, too.

1 Like

Those numbers are pretty startling.

I used to believe a lot of these “blacks are thrown in jail disproportionally” and other things they say to prove oppression of black people in current time. I have no argument against the oppression and injustice towards blacks in the past just to be clear. I know they are true and ugly. But in current year. The numbers don’t look good for the black community. Even worse to see most of the crimes are done against other black people statistically. It’s really a plague on the black community.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/article/Prosecutor-Pregnant-teen-killed-while-being-13854050.php

there are people for whom the death penalty is appropriate, but actually for these people I would suggest life in prison without parole for 40 years.

:rofl:
That’s not how it works.

You have to take the number of black executions divided by the number of black convicts going through the appellate process for a death penalty.

Then do the same thing for whites, then compare.

And your link took me to BJ’s Wholesale club.

1 Like

sorry

https://www.bjs.gov/

1 Like

The EU criticises China’s human rights practices all the time, China just doesn’t care. They protest when Japan and the US carry out executions, too. Probably less on the US since the US does it too often, but they definitely protest when Japan executes death row inmates. They also call for Korea to abolish death penalty on paper regularly as well.

It’s not about wanting people to die, it’s about state’s monopoly of violence and the peril of state apparatus.

People in many countries that have absolished the death penalty also support it, but they never use it anyway. The reason is simple: politicians in Taiwan are cowards.

The best policy now would be to suspend executions.

Are they three times more likely to commit violent crime?

The EU is the world’s international police . Next they will be telling Taiwanese super markets how to package their food. The EU is crumbling away so pay them no heed they’re a spent force.
I don’t support the death penalty but EU should keep out of the internal politics of other countries. Impossible for them to do though. :sleeping:

1 Like

That’s not relevant because in the US there’s a separate appellate process for the death penalty after someone is found guilty. Thus, guilty blacks are 3X more likely to be executed than guilty whites.

3 Likes

I mean if youre going to tell Taiwan what to do, at least have the decency of acknowledging you are talking to a country. Or else go address this to Beijing.

6 Likes

Yes I agree. The so called bastion.of human rights (The EU) won’t even acknowledge Taiwan as a country, even though it is a democracy, unlike dystopian China. They really should keep their noses out. However they won’t.

1 Like

If they followed their official line on Taiwan/China and compared it to the US, it would be like telling Idaho to abandon the death penalty. (I just picked Idaho as a random state with the DP).

1 Like

The stats seem to support a greater chance of the death penalty when the victim is white not necessarily when the perp is black.

1 Like