Eurovision 2010 - Congrats to Lena and to Germany

First time in like almost forever Germany wins at Eurovision !! Congrats to Germany and of course to LENA.

The land of The Beatles, Queen, Oasis, Radiohead, and The (probably more Eurovision-friendly) Spice Girls comes last yet again. Even Azerbaijan came 5th.

Brits find it pretty difficult to come up with the REALLY shitty Eurotrash songs enjoyed by people who wear cardigans and wear loose-fitting underpants. Its our failing, to our everlasting shame. :blush:
(Being shit at Eurovision is a badge of honour.)

[quote=“sandman”]Brits find it pretty difficult to come up with the REALLY shitty Eurotrash songs enjoyed by people who wear cardigans and wear loose-fitting underpants. Its our failing, to our everlasting shame. :blush:
(Being shit at Eurovision is a badge of honour.)[/quote]

Actually the UK has done pretty well thru the years. Ranking 2nd in points and got a few number ones!!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kin … ng_Contest

Where are the Germans? Arent they excited? Shouldnt they be cracking out the beer and the jokes? :slight_smile:

Is it that big of a deal? I wouldn’t know what it is except that they mentioned it on Monty Python.

Yaaaay :discodance: we won the… uhm… what?

As far as I can tell, this contest is not extremely popular in Germany. The popularity went up quite a bit with the younger generations (who have a somewhat diverse musical taste) when a popular comedian / TV host started taking interest in that thing and started mocking it, taking part in it, composing songs for the German entry, or casting groups to participate (not necessarily in that order).

Anyway, this year there were a few celebrators greeting that girl who won on return to Germany, and the chancellor congratulated her. But after all I would say most Germans are not overly proud of any successes in that contest. Most are familiar with “Germany: 0 points” :wink:

For me the best thing about that contest is that Lordi won in 2006 because they literally rock…

But Germany gave us Heino!

From Tommy’s link I can see that the UK used to be a major player at Eurovision.

But they haven’t won it all since “Sandy and the Scottish Toyboys” took post-war Europe by storm (in 1946) with their catchy tune,

“Rink a Dink a Ding Dong Bip Bap Boom!”
:discodance:

[quote=“zender”]From Tommy’s link I can see that the UK used to be a major player at Eurovision. [/quote]Yeah, and look at the results for the past 10 years or so. Oh dear. This years was written by Pete Waterman and Mike Aiken, you thought they could come up a catchy tune.
The German song sounds good though, and I’m sure is a worthy winner, I didn’t see the others though.

She looks like a Mary-Lynn Rajskub that smiles.

It’s easy. We always win when we have a young girl looking like straight from “Gymnasium” (that’s like a College only they are teaching for real) singing some girlish song thingy. In 1982 also.

http://www.rtl.de/cms/information/rtl-exclusiv/lena_meyer-landrut-pool.html

Here she is, straight from the swimming pool.