EVA Air's new slogan

Ok, my turn.

“Just Relax, Your at Home in the Air”

That’s the first thing I thought was missing when I read it.

[quote=“miltownkid”]Ok, my turn.

That’s the first thing I thought was missing when I read it.[/quote]

You mean “you’re?”

Let’s face it. It’s just a bad slogan, regardless of grammar problems.

[quote=“jeff”][quote=“miltownkid”]Ok, my turn.

That’s the first thing I thought was missing when I read it.[/quote]

You mean “you’re?”

Let’s face it. It’s just a bad slogan, regardless of grammar problems.[/quote]

:blush:
:laughing:

Does it sound better in German?

Don’t think so, haven’t thought about that.

Been away for too long, think, dream and swear in my humble English only …

eva.home@air.com :bulb:

EXCELLENT POINT: "Just about everything I read here written in second-hand English from product specs to company profiles or slogans has laughable errors in it but the mystery to me is that when I point them out no one ever has the slightest concern about changing them. "

My friends in Japan and South Korea tell me the same thing. I think it is that the English used in adverts and slogans is not MEANT to read or comprehended, really, by local people. It is just what I call Decoration English. So the EVA AIR slogan is really cool, from this point of view. Sure, it’s silly, but it was not meant to be anything else but D.E.

The local people don’t mine.

And imagine if we were writing Mandarin or kanji or Hangul adverts as copywriters! We would surely fuck the language too. And I hope they wouldn’t mine…

[quote=“formosa”]EXCELLENT POINT:

And imagine if we were writing Mandarin or kanji or Hangul adverts as copywriters! We would surely fuck the language too. And I hope they wouldn’t mine…[/quote]

No, if I were writing copy in Mandarin I’d make damn sure I could use the language properly before setting pen to paper.

a few years old, but it makes me laugh every time i hear it! :smiley:

cloudedmoon.com/delta.wav

I think Rascal’s on the right road…

If they replaced the comma with a dash, it would at least make the slogan acceptable:

Just Relax - Your Home in the Air

Still chunky sounding, but at least not grammatically incorrect (because then it’s not a full sentence).
BTW, what’s the Chinese slogan? Maybe it’s a direct translation (sounds kinda like it…)

I still think ‘Just relax’ implies that you are nervous and need calming. Not the right message, surely.

Apart from the grammar and usage problems, the new slogan seemed strange to me on another level. “Home in the air” sounds a little like “home in the sky”, which sounds like a reference to an afterlife. Death is the last thing an airline passenger wants to be reminded of when flying.

The main concern for me is that if, as is patently obvious, EVA has not had the sense to run the English side of their new advertising campaign past a native speaker, then do they pay as little attention to the translation of technical documents relating to their aircraft?

It’s uncanny though how close they’ve come to reading my mind. Just about everytime I’m strapping myself in for take-off and listening to the flight attendant mangle the English-language safety instructions I’m saying to myself:

“Relax dammit, just because she can’t put together an intelligible sentence in English doesn’t mean the flight crew hasn’t read and understood Boeing’s flight operations manual – I hope.”