Ever been robbed here?

[quote=“Doug McKenzie”][quote=“tigerman”]That sucks, formosa. Sorry about your misfortune. But, try to look at the good… you did get your wallet back.

Been robbed 3 times (home) and 2 times (wife’s store) here in Taiwan. Got us a real mean (well, not really) dog now, so don’t expect to be robbed at home again.[/quote]

wow. when you say robbed, was it a matter of breaking and entering i.e. theft, or were you actually robbed from your person?[/quote]

Sorry… I know better… just lazy. It was theft in each instance.

Got my bike stolen. My ex-g/f got the bike I bought for her stolen. My buddy, who I got a great deal on a bike, got it stolen.

I think rollerblading has great potential in Taipei…hang on to the back of a scooter monkey and a-way we go…

They didn’t steal it they found it . Some drongo left his wallet behing sounds like hard luck to me and good luck for them

Come and live near me and leave your stuff about

I hope that some of you folks are kidding. If you find a bag of money in an unmarked envelope and nobody alerts you to their loss, you might be able to make an argument that you are entitled to the cash.

However, if you find a wallet with identification inside and cash/credit cards, you are not entitled to help yourself to the same. What if the wallet you find has identification in it indicating that the wallet belongs to your mother? Do you take the cash and return the wallet to your mother empty? If yes, well you’re an asshole. If you return the wallet and cash to your mother, why would you not do the same for anyone else?

I suppose some of you think that if you see a scooter or car unattended with its keys on the seat or in the ignition you think it alright to hop on/in and take off… finders keepers losers weepers, eh? :unamused:

well tigerman, if my mom leaves her purse on a public street unattended and I find it…yes the money is mine and I will tell her how stupid it is to leave her pursue lying around…and if some bozo leaves the keys in his vehicle then he has no one to blame but himself it gets stolen…I have no sympathy in either case…however, if you lock your bike, scooter, or car and then it is stolen then you get all my sympathy…and if your wallet is in your pocket and it’s stolen I will be the first to sympathize with you…so yes I am an asshole…but not an idiot! :laughing:

I am with Tigerman: Even I was so stupid and dropped my wallet or left it somewhere it’s still stealing.
If you think it’s ‘finding’ then you should return it (easy with the ID inside) or bring the item/money to the police *). If you keep it you are a thief.
In particular in this case it would have been easy, an enclosed compound and with the ID inside should have made it very clear where the wallet including the money belongs.

But perhaps people also think it’s not robbery if I empty my neighbours apartment because he left his door open … :unamused:

*) Yeah, I know what comes now, but speaking generally and not necessarily about Taiwan …

Its taken me over a year to get Rascal to agree with me… :laughing:

I agree with all sides here. It was not robbery. I made the mistake, no one forced me to be absent minded that day.

But what galls me is that now I see the people who live in that building every day, I see their faces, they pass by me when I am walking by or visiting my GF, and SOMEONE in ONE of those apartments knows who has my money. THAT’s what galls me, that it happened in a familiar place where they know me.

And yet nobody spoke up or thought to return the entire wallet with the money to me. I mean, they know who I am, and they saw my ID cards in the wallet, yet they took it.

True, they FOUND the money. True, temptation is temptation. True, i made the mistake.

Had I lost it in a park, where I didn’t know who took it, tough luck, formosa. I can handle THAT! But to leave the wallet on a wall one meter from the main door to the apartment, and in the space of 30 minutes to come back and find the entire wallet MISSING and then come backl 30 minutes later to find the wallet somehow mysteriously reappeared, why, it galls me. It just does.

I haven’t slept well for two nights already. I keep going over and over, the faces of those people inside the building. They aren’t gangsters. They are college students and young workers. Damn!

But still, yes, it was NOt robbery. It was my own silly fault.

Today, I went back to the scene of the crime, placed my wallet on the wall again during lunch hour and watched the people come and go, to see who might look GUILTY. I sat there and read the paper. I call it FISHING for the guilty party. I will find them.

Of course, I might end up DEAD on this assignment. If one day, you see I have stopped posting here, you will know formosa has been offed. Dead as a doornail.

Is it worth it? No.

But I can’t help myself. I just want to know who did it. I am even thinking of making a poster in Chinese that reads: “Who ever took the money, please return it, no questions asked, you can keep half. Knock on Apartment XXX (my girlfriend’s place) and let me know.”

Formosa

I stole some virginity here in Taiwan, does that count?

Depends. Did she just leave it outside for you to take or did you rob her?

morally, it’s stealing no doubt but in the real world i feel we are dealing with several distinct situations here.

A: I was walking down the street minding my own business when someone came along and robbed me. Or someone robbed my house.

B: I left my bike or car by the side of the road and it was stolen. Maybe I was stupid and forgot to lock it up, but it was stolen. Or maybe my wallet was stolen from my pocket on the bus.

C: My brain suffered from a minor malfunction and I left my wallet lying there with $15,000 in it for anyone to see and take. When I came back, in a not very shocking turn of events, it was gone. Not robbed or stolen, just gone. Not slagging on Formosa here as I have done more than enough equally stupid and financially damaging things.

[quote=“daltongang”]
C: My brain suffered from a minor malfunction and I left my wallet lying there with $15,000 in it for anyone to see and take. When I came back, in a not very shocking turn of events, it was gone. Not robbed or stolen, just gone. Not slagging on Formosa here as I have done more than enough equally stupid and financially damaging things.[/quote]

Yes, yes, the entire turn of events is my fault. I guess the money was my gift to someone who needed it more than I do. What galls me is that the money in question was in payment for a very difficult task which I had just completed for my boss and he had wired the money to my bank account and I was on my way to deposit it in my Post Office account, so the money was a symbol of a major major project I had just completed, real blood sweat and tears, and THAT is what I felt was taken from me.

Not the money. Of course, the dude or dudess who took the money could not have known that, so I do not hold him her accountable…except for being a very very deep shit of of human being for playing with my mind like this (mysteriously replacing the wallet where it had not been just 30 minutes before).

Out out damned spot!

it’s a tough break. similar situations come to mind.

i don’t really get the latter part though. replacing the wallet would seem only to be an act of kindness, even if packaged in a shell of 'i took your money"

Maybe it would make you feel better if you entertain the possibility that it’s not one of the neighbors who stole your money?

Someone else may have entered the building (maybe even a visitor to one of the neighbors’) and taken the wallet. It’s plausible.

Maybe this would let you sleep better at night?

I got my wallet lifted in Chia Yi. But I only had my ARC, bank card and my expired driver’s license. They must have been disappointed…

[quote=“BAH”]Maybe it would make you feel better if you entertain the possibility that it’s not one of the neighbors who stole your money?

Someone else may have entered the building (maybe even a visitor to one of the neighbors’) and taken the wallet. It’s plausible.

Maybe this would let you sleep better at night?[/quote]

It didn’t work. i took three valiums. works perfect. who cares!!! yipeeeeeeeee!

look on the bright side… maybe your girlfriend nicked it and come x-mas day you’ll be getting a sweeeet x-mas gift waiting for you under the tree…

…either that or the small time gangster down the hall has already blown it on a three hour pachinko binge and a trick set of anodised blue licence plate bolts for his scooter… :unamused:

maybe he spent it all at a brothel and is having a hard time explaining this to his girlfrend

nah, i never pay for sex.

I do… not cause I have to, but because its much funnier when I do