Evergreen pollutes abroad. but does anyone in Taiwan care?

Taiwan’s largest shipping company intentionally befouls U.S. waters and evades pollution controls, and gets nailed, but not a peep from the TT, CP, or TN. Even Xinhua covered this story, as well as local papers in the states:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002231132_evergreen05m.html

One question I had after reading this article, is if Evergreen was doing this in Seattle, and didn’t worry or care about the consequences, what are they doing in Keelung, or Kaohsiung? Or Manila, Hong Kong, or the other ports they visit?

CNA just reported this a few minutes ago. Apparently the company is claiming that it was the work of a poorly trained crew and in no way part of Evergreen’s policy. Yeah, riiiight. :unamused:
Surprisingly (I mean UNsuprisingly) different to the Seattle Times account. :noway:

based on what i read, they were dumping the oil waste discreetly, so it was very difficult to trace back to them. The EPA had to use some advanced analysis to trace the drudge back to their ships, the other ports u mentioned may not have the advanced equipment to accomplish this or might be too polluted/crowded to discern where the excess toxics came from.

[quote=“klaxon”]Taiwan’s largest shipping company intentionally befouls U.S. waters and evades pollution controls, and gets nailed, but not a peep from the TT, CP, or TN. Even Xinhua covered this story, as well as local papers in the states:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002231132_evergreen05m.html

One question I had after reading this article, is if Evergreen was doing this in Seattle, and didn’t worry or care about the consequences, what are they doing in Keelung (Jilong), or Kaohsiung? Or Manila, Hong Kong, or the other ports they visit?[/quote]

This is why householders are being asked to separate their rubbish in Taiwan. It makes it look as if the government is serious on poluution and gives them something to point at when big companies fuck up the Taiwanese countryside. A poor alternative to actually detecting and bringing to order the big polluters The legislation is there already, but where is the will to name and shame? (The fines are pathetic, naming and shaming is all that can be done, without new legislation - I think…)

If their shipping company tries to get away with this kind of stuff, what tricks has their airline pulled (besides having the world’s cheapest frequent flier program) and should we thank God’s grace that nothing really disasterous has happened?