Everyone Draw Mohammed Day

Should we coddle and pander to extremists or do they need tough love?

Not sure how I feel here - I’m all for not taking any sort of religion too seriously and I’m there with Dawkins in believing that we shouldn’t pussyfoot around crazies. But simply posting a series of inflammatory images with little substance, seems a little insensitive in my opinion. When I piss off my Christian friends, I at least explain why I think they are wrong.

You need to give more here, DD. I’m with you that people are fucked up with regards religion, but make a point please.

That one is pretty funny.

I joined the Facebook group. I’d draw Mohammed if I could draw, but I can’t. I think that no one, including God is above ridicule. Free will is free will. If we can’t be free to sin, then we’re not really free, and I also believe it’s up to God to punish our sins against Him, not some mob.

There’s a good thread waiting to happen here, Deuce Dropper. You just got off on the wrong foot. I’d try again, in a more diplomatic, intelligent fashion.

[quote=“Maoman”]I joined the Facebook group. I’d draw Mohammed if I could draw, but I can’t. I think that no one, including God is above ridicule. Free will is free will. If we can’t be free to sin, then we’re not really free, and I also believe it’s up to God to punish our sins against Him, not some mob.

There’s a good thread waiting to happen here, Deuce Dropper. You just got off on the wrong foot. I’d try again, in a more diplomatic, intelligent fashion.[/quote]

I can see what you’re saying but there’s something about that is uncomfortable. Perhaps, I think something should be scared and respected. And religious figures are one.
You can’t have much faith or respect for God, if you believe in him/her/it, if you’re mocking them. It’s like holding your wife/parent/child in reverence but also dissin’ them which IMO reduces the amount of respect you have for them. :2cents:

Guess what…we don’t live in a Muslim world. non-Muslims can draw cartoons of Mohammad all day long if they want to. If someone doesn’t like it, it’s their problem.

Now as to how the rules of the forum will be enforced…that’s a completely different issue.

[quote=“drifter”]Guess what…we don’t live in a Muslim world. non-Muslims can draw cartoons of Mohammad all day long if they want to. If someone doesn’t like it, it’s their problem.
.[/quote]

But guess what?! As adults we live in a world we have to share. I don’t want to be pissing everyone off because I don’t practice your (in the general sense) little quirk. I’m Christian and don’t appreciate jokes about Jesus and God. This also gives me some sensitivity to what is off-limits for Muslims and is considered sacred to them. Practice the golden rule on this one, but don’t cry when you get slapped back.

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“drifter”]Guess what…we don’t live in a Muslim world. non-Muslims can draw cartoons of Mohammad all day long if they want to. If someone doesn’t like it, it’s their problem.
.[/quote]
Practice the golden rule on this one, but don’t cry when you get slapped back.[/quote]

You really think it all about something so childish as slapping and making fun? What rights we don’t exercise we lose. Muslims have no right to enforce their rules on the rest of the world yet they do. In the face of that I will exercise my right to show that I’m not a Muslim and their rules don’t apply to me. Never have, never will. End of story.

Living in a world we have to share is nice idealism, sadly the world doesn’t actually work that way when it comes down to it or we wouldn’t be having this discussion at all and this thread wouldn’t exist.

[quote=“drifter”][quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“drifter”]Guess what…we don’t live in a Muslim world. non-Muslims can draw cartoons of Mohammad all day long if they want to. If someone doesn’t like it, it’s their problem.
.[/quote]
Practice the golden rule on this one, but don’t cry when you get slapped back.[/quote]

You really think it all about something so childish as slapping and making fun? What rights we don’t exercise we lose. Muslims have no right to enforce their rules on the rest of the world yet they do.

[/quote]

Huh? Evidently it is about making fun. Have a Draw Muhammad day. What’s that? Religious Satire. Satire=making fun of something. Sure we can exercise all the rights we have in the world, but that still doesn’t excuse the responsibility we must take for exercising those rights. If it’s in my right to carry a concealed weapon does that mean I have the right to use it when I see fit?

Truth be told, I think it’s a form of racism/bigotry and/or imperialism thinking that is giving certain people the idea that they mock this Islamic rule. This isn’t about idealism but rather working from a premise of : If I don’t want shit, don’t start shit.

[quote]In the face of that I will exercise my right to show that I’m not a Muslim and their rules don’t apply to me. Never have, never will. End of story. [/quote]That just reeks of emotional immaturity. So let me ask, on your job, you’re not a Taiwanese so the work rules don’t apply to you? Do the rules of the road don’t apply to you, since you aren’t Taiwanese? Do you have to be XYZ to treat people or ideas with a level of respect? Even if you disagree with them?

[quote]Living in a world we have to share is nice idealism, sadly the world doesn’t actually work that way when it comes down to it or we wouldn’t be having this discussion at all and this thread wouldn’t exist.[/quote] What do you mean this thread wouldn’t exist? Are you implying some sort of democratic practice here is allowing this discussion? I’m sure Muslims debate the drawing of Muhammad. Perhaps not as openly as we are accustomed to or with such passion. The overall idea to challenge and mock figures of power isn’t exclusive.

I am utterly amazed at the fact that so many people are completely unaware of the principal of respecting other people. I am actually flabbergasted by that.
With all the hatred in our world today, your little mocking and nagging doesn’t help peace. But hey, it’s your freedom of speech right? So, go ahead, mock others and draw cartoons if it makes you more human. Good for you all.

[quote=“igorveni”]I am utterly amazed at the fact that so many people are completely unaware of the principal of respecting other people. I am actually flabbergasted by that.
With all the hatred in our world today, your little mocking and nagging doesn’t help peace. But hey, it’s your freedom of speech right? So, go ahead, mock others and draw cartoons if it makes you more human. Good for you all.[/quote]
:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Well said.

[quote=“igorveni”]I am utterly amazed at the fact that so many people are completely unaware of the principal of respecting other people. I am actually flabbergasted by that.
With all the hatred in our world today, your little mocking and nagging doesn’t help peace. But hey, it’s your freedom of speech right? So, go ahead, mock others and draw cartoons if it makes you more human. Good for you all.[/quote]

Yes because you know, drawing a satirical, mocking cartoon is morally equivalent to death threats and physical violence. Someone teases you and you have the right to physically assault them, firebomb their house and try to murder them with an axe. They broke a rule you live by, but they don’t, so its your god given right to intimidate them into shutting up! That’s the kind of respect we need.

[quote=“lbksig”][quote=“igorveni”]I am utterly amazed at the fact that so many people are completely unaware of the principal of respecting other people. I am actually flabbergasted by that.

Yes because you know, drawing a satirical, mocking cartoon is morally equivalent to death threats and physical violence. Someone teases you and you have the right to physically assault them, firebomb their house and try to murder them with an axe. They broke a rule you live by, but they don’t, so its your god given right to intimidate them into shutting up! That’s the kind of respect we need.[/quote]

When did satire become a rule to live by? :ponder:

So’s Maoman and he does. So’s my little sister and she CERTAINLY does. And I’ve seen you use that pic of the thumbs-up Jeesus figurine from Dogma, so you do, too.

[quote=“lbksig”][quote=“igorveni”]I am utterly amazed at the fact that so many people are completely unaware of the principal of respecting other people. I am actually flabbergasted by that.

Yes because you know, drawing a satirical, mocking cartoon is morally equivalent to death threats and physical violence. Someone teases you and you have the right to physically assault them, firebomb their house and try to murder them with an axe. They broke a rule you live by, but they don’t, so its your god given right to intimidate them into shutting up! That’s the kind of respect we need.[/quote]
I won’t even bother to answer that because it shows how completely ignorant this post is.

Absolutely, brother.
And please, OP, spare us the wide-eyed disingenuous bushwah about this being a freedom of expression issue.
We all know it’s about you (and others) showing everyone what hardcore post-modernist iconoclasts you are.
Ooooooooooh, mocking world religion! You’re so edgy!!

The fact is that your post flagrantly ridicules one of the basic principles of a system of belief held by millions of your co-humans.
You have every right to observe all the cartoons you like, just as you have the right to read Dead Jesus comics, or make pork chop jokes about Hasidic diamond merchants.
But posting them here is another matter.
Grow up.

[quote=“cfimages”][quote=“igorveni”]I am utterly amazed at the fact that so many people are completely unaware of the principal of respecting other people. I am actually flabbergasted by that.

Well said.[/quote]
:thumbsup: True Igor. And someone has to tell the OP, that even the most liberal Muslims will find his post offensive, it has nothing to do with extremists.

What’s interesting is that the reason Muslims don’t allow images of Mohammed is because they’re afraid it might lead to idolatry. I don’t see much danger of that in the current “Draw Mohammed” Day. The spirit of the law seems to me to remain intact.

With regards to the mainstream discussion, I’m going to go in favour of free speech. There are so many controversial/offensive topics and practices in the world that to avoid them all is practically impossible. Just think of how we’d have to act if we decided to bend the world to the Old and New Testaments and the edicts within? Does Islam get a special pass on tolerance and forebearance? Is it that weak? I don’t think so.

So’s Maoman and he does. So’s my little sister and she CERTAINLY does. And I’ve seen you use that pic of the thumbs-up Jeesus figurine from Dogma, so you do, too.[/quote]

Busted. I guess I saw that “good” satire. off to write 100x “I will watch what I say” on the blackboard :blush:

So’s Maoman and he does. So’s my little sister and she CERTAINLY does. And I’ve seen you use that pic of the thumbs-up Jeesus figurine from Dogma, so you do, too.[/quote]

Busted. I guess I saw that “good” satire. off to write 100x “I will watch what I say” on the blackboard :blush:[/quote]
Use a whiteboard. They’re cleaner.