Everything you wanted to know about the YouBike

I take it you remember the O-bike debacle? :rofl:

Guy

Nope, just the e-scooter debacle in Austin ha. And pictures of the bike piles in China.

The scooter situation in Austin got better after they added post-ride picture-taking to the apps + gps-enforced no-go areas, and making the companies pick up any that were reported in parking garages and stuff

3 Likes

Same sort of thing here. O-bikes everywhere, and then the company bust and all the bikes just stopped working.

1 Like

I just realized Google Maps shows the number of bikes and number of parking spaces available.

10 Likes

Must be a Taipei only thing. This info doesn’t show up on Google Maps when I check stations in Taoyuan :cry:

You can download the Youbike App and check the number of bikes and parking spaces available in real time

Thanks, I know. I just wanted to whine about Taoyuan being left out.

2 Likes

I saw one parked around Bitan last week. I’m glad somebody is using the bike instead of it just becoming junk.

Here’s something I didn’t know about YouBike…

I used to use YouBike all the time, but they wore a hole in my (expensive) pants after riding around Taichung for maybe a couple of hours a day over a week or so. I looked at another pair of pants I was wearing at that time, and they’ve thinned in the same place. I guess it has to do with the quality of the seat, which I imagine is designed to withstand a lot of punishment.

Until I later looked this up online and found that this is actually something that can happen when riding bicycles, I never knew this was a thing. Now, I ride them much less frequently.

That “someone” could find themselves in trouble! Convicted of theft for picking up abandoned OBike - Legal / General Legal Matters - Forumosa

2 Likes

That’s how cycling shorts came into being.

1 Like

I ended up reading the whole thread, poor @Taiwan_Luthiers, it’s so unfair. :rage:

4 Likes

Gotta say I’m not really a fan of these new Youbikes.

I’ve had to use them every day to ride the last bit of my commute to class. The only benefit for
me as a rider is the seat improvement.

The card scanning imo is much slower. Not only that, I’ve had a bunch of issues scanning my Easy card. I prefer the old ones, the process was quicker.

Another thing is half the time the stations have no bikes. So today i downloaded the app, and found out Youbike 1 and 2 have separate apps… wtf.

5 Likes

Dropped Youbike and yoyo cashcard didn’t have enough money on it. Bike locked in.

Can I go to kiosk later and pay with a sufficiently cash loaded card later?

Or need to go to a Youbike center?

Now I know how Youbike collects outstanding charges if you return a bike with insufficient funds remaining on your cash card.

• The next time you try to rent a bike it will deduct your previous charge.
  • Touch card a second time to rent bike.

Cannot pay at the kiosk but can check to see if you have an outstanding charge. For example

4 Likes

NT$315! Did you try to use that youbike to climb Jade Mountain or something? :rofl:

Guy

3 Likes

I knew someone would pick up on that.

It was a long long day riverside Taipei, never really had a break near a bike stand, and didn’t want to chance swapping for a problematic bike.

The steepest incline that day was climbing ramp to Xinbei bridge Xinzhuang/Banciao.

4 Likes

I calculated that you would need to keep the bike for about 9.5 hours to get that charge. It’s possible (I think I kept a bike 8 hours once).

1 Like

I think it was closer to 8.5 hours but who counting. Higher fees kick in periodically along the day and they send SMS text reminding of the price increase.

Edit: Oh yea, the picture from kiosk says 8:39.

4 Likes

So i got a youbike with a flat tire today. Because of the no change rule i rode it all the way to my destination. I was quite sweaty and pee’d off after finishing. Apparently if you return it you don’t need to wait the 15 mins if you get another one from a different station… wish i found out earlier!

2 Likes