Everything you wanted to know about the YouBike

It’s 30 minutes free per day. Thats how it was when the system started. Recurring 30 minutes free is only for holder of mega city pass.

1 Like

The day ends at midnight? Free youbike to revolver and leave after midnight for another free ride home? Sounds like a deal :joy:

2 Likes

I think if you live in Taipei and take the bus or mrt more than a few times a day, you will have a mega city bus. You’d be a fool not to have one.

But the article doesn’t say how it works but I’m sure it will be 30 minutes free per day if you don’t have a mega city pass.

But the whole aim is to get people to not drive their own vehicle.

Here’s something unusual I spotted today near Taipower Building MRT Station in Taipei City:

What is this 2.0E beast doing here? Did some ambitious soul ride it in from Taoyuan / Hsinchu / Miaoli—or further afield? Or are the electric bikes being introduced into the capital too?

Guy

4 Likes

I spotted another 2.0E bike today in Taipei City.

I wonder what’s up?

Guy

2 Likes

Are they the same price? I havent seen one (around Zhongshan) but I’d like to try.

It’s 20NT/30 minutes for the first two hours, then 40NT/30 minutes thereafter.

IMG_20240304_110101

3 Likes

No, the 2.0E bikes cost more, and are not included in the NT$1200 do-what-you-want passes in vogue now.

EDIT: Plus what @Steve4nLanguage wrote.

Guy

I saw one today near Xindian District Office :face_with_spiral_eyes:
Are they now available for the whole Taipei metro area?

1 Like

I regularly do 35km from a 95% charge and return to the dock with 25/30% still in the bank.

1 Like

YouBike 1.0 app is dead?

This morning I tried to bring up the 1.0 app and got this message…

Clicking ‘confirm’ brings up the app store to download this app…

This app only shows 2.0 bikes…

When I went to the station there were 1.0 bikes available, and you could still rent them…

I hope this is just temporary because it would be stupid not to be able to see if any bikes or parking spots are available beforehand.

2 Likes

New Taipei City Councilor Cheng Yu-en (鄭宇恩) hoped that in addition to ensuring urban areas, remote locations in New Taipei could also see electric bicycles installed. She hoped that areas such as the north coast and mountainous areas would be included in the rollout to make longer commutes more convenient.

Half of them will end in hilly Banqiao.

2 Likes

I’m seeing no 1.0 bikes available where could use them. They have been placed in one location (away from the docking stations) and locked up.

Now I’ve got to get everything set up for the 2.0 bikes. Can anybody help out?

They would be useful if riding long distances such as from new Taipei city to Taipei city. Its just a pity not all the bridges are bike friendly. most of the ones in Sanchong require you to either carry the bikes up stairs or just ride in the scooter lane.

1 Like

This should help (it’s the English sign up page)

1 Like

Thank you!

Some good news for Taoyuan youbike enthusiasts:

Guy

3 Likes

According to the report I linked above, the mayor of Taoyuan wants the 1.0 bikes out of his city by October this year.

Guy

1 Like

I mentioned a bike route in Taoyuan in another thread (Relaxing plant-filled café along bike path - #4 by Steve4nLanguage) and I wanted to update it. Yesterday I rode the entire way and now it’s been extended to almost the coast!

The route starts here, not far from the train station:

It now ends here, only 1km from the ocean:

7 Likes

Don’t know about the Taipei T-pass, but it’s included in the Kaohsiung T-pass - the first 30-minute is free.