Ex-Pop Star Cat Stevens Deported from U.S

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Former pop singer Cat Stevens, a Muslim, was deported to Britain on Wednesday after U.S. officials said his activities could be “linked to terrorism” and his name was put on a U.S. no-fly list.
story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … stevens_dc

Ok, what is the rationale behind deporting Stevens? This is a man who has spoken out against terrorism but apparently that is not good enough. Even though he was wrong to support a call for death against author Salman Rushdie, he has not been shown to have had anything to do with terroristic activity in America or anywhere else. (Supporting a decision is not the same thing as advocating it).
If this is America’s way of protecting the country, it sure doesn’t make me feel any safer.
Clearly, the Bush administration should not be wasting time and resources removing a non-threatening person. This is the same kind of thinking which got the US involved in Iraq. Time, money and lives have been wasted getting rid of Hussein, while the real threat to the US and the world, bin Lauden, has been allowed to escape punishment.
What a strange and stupid way to deal with terrorism.

Yussef Islam, the artist formerly known as Cat Stevens, was denied entry. He was not ‘deported.’

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 6&start=45

You boys are slow :smiling_imp:

They couldn’t take the risk, there was a clear and present danger that he would sing Moon Shadow.

And Peace Train is very subversive.

He was in the country and sent out of the country. That is deportation. They can call it anything they want but kicking someone out after he arrives is deportation. Even the article calls it deportation.

Nice. Load him off onto somebody else.
I think the US responce is a little overblown in this instance.

If memory serves, he runs Islamic schools in England. (Wasn’t he offered a knighthood for it?) The U.S. government hates Islamic benevolent institutions on principle, and tries to punish those involved with them.

[quote=“Dangermouse”]Nice. Load him off onto somebody else.
I think the US responce is a little overblown in this instance.[/quote]

Yes, it is very overblown because he has never been shown to be a terrorist or even to support terroristic activity. (He has spoken out against terrorists).
This is just an lame attempt by the Bush folks to show they are doing something productive to combat terrorism but most people can see it for what it really is: a big waste of time and resources.

Homeland Security… protecting America… from… cheesy 70s music.

Wouldn’t wanna be in the shoes of the Starland Vocal Band…

Martin in LuChou.

[quote=“tilkster”]Homeland Security… protecting America… from… cheesy 70s music.

Wouldn’t wanna be in the shoes of the Starland Vocal Band…

Martin in Luzhou.[/quote]

they’re doing an extended gig in guantanamo now.

gee it’s good to know HS is watching out for our security. divert airliners, offend one of our last remaining allies, look like utter morons but------WE KEPT CAT STEVENS OUT!!!

what was he gonna do, brain Bush with his guitar? piss on public monuments? AHHHRR? drool drool UNNGHJHJ

HA!HA! Uneducated Western capitalists can’t even read their own newspapers!

:bravo: :bravo:

Cat Stevens Gives Support To Call for Death of Rushdie

‘‘I’d try to phone the Ayatollah Khomeini and tell him exactly where this man is,’’ said Mr. Islam, who watched a preview of the program today and said in an interview that he stood by his comments.

nytimes.com/books/99/04/18/s … e-cat.html

And some uneducated posters on this site can’t even read posts :bravo: :bravo:

I said in an earlier post that he was wrong to give support to the call for Rushdie’s death but that support is not the same thing as advocating something.

I am sure that some people who support Bush’s idiotic invasion into Iraq didn’t necessarily advocate the invasion.

Frrankly, I agree with the government’s decision. Stevens is a public figure who supported the death sentence against Rushdie. In other words, he thinks anyone who offends Islam should be murdered. I wouldn’t let him in my country either, if the decision were up to me.

Here’s more of that loony logic from the left-my-brain-at-home Leftist Cable Guy. Please someone, explain to me just what the hell this is supposed to mean?

[quote]I said in an earlier post that he was wrong to give support to the call for Rushdie’s death but that support is not the same thing as advocating something[/quote].

Say what?

In my opinion, it’s nothing more than “racial profiling”. How can a country claim to be democratic when it deports an American citizen just because of his religious beliefs?! It sounds like the U.S. is becoming more and more like the country “Oceania” in George Orwell’s book “1984”. In fact, the U.S. already has “thought police”! Even though they are called “Homeland Security agents”, when they deport a U.S. citizen just because of his religious beliefs and not because of anything he actually did, then how can anyone deny that the Department of Homeland Security is nothing more than a bunch of “thought police”?!

Cat Stevens has never commited any terrorist acts.

I certainly don’t agree that Salmon Rushdie should be killed, but I think that everyone has a right to have any opinions. Did Cat Stevens actually try to murder Salmon Rushdie? No!

How is it that none of these lefties, assuming Nagel is one of them, have read 1984 but can quote a few things to show that America, a country that he has never been to in most probabilty, is becoming like something in a book that he has never actually read. If Nagel had read 1984, he would realize that Orwell’s skewering would be much more applicable to the hate crimes and other identity politics of the left. That was after all who Orwell was skewering was the left, get it Nagel, the left as is the same communists and Marxists who spawned the Chomsky-clutching leftists who quote him now with such pisspoor understanding of what motivated him, the same left with their new ever changing motivations for hating and protesting against Bush and America. Have Bush’s positions changed with the wind, er no, that er is Kerry and which side is Kerry on well today it could be Asia and tomorrow it could be Oceania depending on how the sheep are to be led. Get it Nagel? Get it now?

No, but Yusuf Islam has supported organizations that have. This makes him fair game to ride the “peace-train” all the way back to the UK. You can argue it is because he looks like this now

instead of

However, if you look at the facts, he has provided financial support for Muslim charities with terrorist connections. These past connections might infringe on his freedom to travel to some countries – the US being one such country.

Mr. Nagel, don’t you know that Orwell really wrote 1984 as a reference to the leftist statism he saw in the UK in 1948. Guess he wasn’t an Atlee supporter :smiling_imp:

As a matter of fact, I have read “1984”, and I already know that in 1984, “Oceania” was supposed to be a communist country, but my point is that I think that the U.S. is becoming more and more un-democratic as it tries to prevent terrorism.

With all these unAmerican activities going on around us these days now would probably be an opportune time to revive a real star chamber capable of doing blacklists, innuendo and accusations masquerading as fact the right way:House Unamerican Activities Committee.