Ex-Taiwan person at large

A certain poster here continually refers to him/herself when talking of Taiwan politics as “we.” I understand this, of course, but my understanding is that this person doesn’t even live in Taiwan and may not have even been born in Taiwan. I wasn’t born in England, but I have been there and my ancestors are from there, so in a debate, can I also say “we” when talking of the Brits?
This is the seed of my question.
What do you think about expat legislators? To me, once you have lived outside of your birth country for a certain number of years (a gray area, for sure) you lose the mandate to be able to talk about certain events in the “we” sense as you don’t really even have a connection with the place anymore.
I can’t talk about “we” in the sense of being a fellow ethnic Chinese, but I can talk in the “we” inasmuch as I have lived here in Taiwan for coming up on 20 years of my adult life.
I don’t see how a person can represent his country in the legislature when he doesn’t even live in Taiwan, and perhaps not for many, many years.
How curious it would be for me to get a seat in the US Senate as an expat legislator.
(The December legislative elections will see up for grabs, 168 regional seats, 8 aborigine seats, 8 expat seats and 41 at-large seats.)

I’ve always assumed (maybe wrongly) that in matters of citizenship, Taiwan more or less follows jus sanguinis, i.e., right of blood, rather than jus soli, right of soil.

The U.S., of course, would be a jus soli-oriented country.

I don’t mean that jus sanguinis would explain allowing an overseas-residing citizen of a country to run for its legislature. I mean that jus sanguinis (if that’s what Taiwan has) would make sense as a kind of marker for that kind of cultural/legal package in a country.

In other words, if a country’s concept of identity is strongly oriented towards the “blood” or lineage of its people, then their location would seem to be de-emphasized.

Of course, if Taiwan ain’t a jus sanguinis country, then in the words of Roseanne Roseannadanna, never mind.

Another factor might be the notion of the ROC as a government-in-exile. That is, if the government’s not located where it thinks it ought to be to begin with, what difference should it make if some of its legislators are located still farther off?

Not to mention where would be get half of our winter olympic athletes from. :unamused: