Excellent, evocative photos of Taiwan

These photos are incredibly evocative.

Taiwan: Hanging with the Happy

Taiwan: Strike of the Beast

Some of those are really nice.
Any favourites? It would be interesting to see what people would choose if they had to choose any three photos, particularly on the first link, that said Taiwan to them.

Very nice. Wow.

I like “Condom World” quite a bit. Several really nice shots in there if you have the patience to go through them all. I’d really like to know what camera/lenses he used.

Homesick!

Great pics!

HG

These ones say “Taiwan” to me:

I was also dying to know about the camera and lenses. I haven’t made my pick yet, although I’m pretty sure about the young guy at the dinner place under the huge sign. Not sure if that’s a favourite Taiwan photo, though, I just like that composition. Still looking…

The photos still have the EXIF information on them, even after resizing with Photoshop.
The camera is a Nikon E8700 (Coolpix 8700, 8MP).
No data on the lens, though. :idunno:

The photos still have the EXIF information on them, even after resizing with Photoshop.
The camera is a Nikon E8700 (Coolpix 8700, 8MP).
No data on the lens, though. :idunno:[/quote]

It’s not a SLR, so you can’t change the lens. :wink: Here’s a review of the Coolpix 8700.

Well, I guess you don’t necessarily need an expensive camera to take great pictures… (why did I buy that Canon 20D, again)?

Has Forumosa ever held a photography contest? If not, I think it’s a great idea. Maybe we could get some sponsors to donate prizes?

Great idea! Prizes would be cool, but not essential. It could be an ongoing thing, maybe a new theme every couple of weeks. Anyone else interested?

That Condom World is in Jiufen. If you pay close attention, you can see it in Hou Hsiao-Hsien’s “City of Sadness.”

Great idea! Prizes would be cool, but not essential. It could be an ongoing thing, maybe a new theme every couple of weeks. Anyone else interested?[/quote]
I certainly am interested in this, and I think it is a great idea.

We could open a thread for submissions, and then close it off for voting by poll perhaps.
This could be a monthly/fortnightly ongoing thing with different criteria each month.

Any more idea regarding themes/categories etc?

That Condom World is in Jiufen. If you pay close attention, you can see it in Hou Hsiao-Hsien (Xian)'s “City of Sadness.”[/quote]

I’ll take your word for it; I only saw that once, in the theater in Taichung when it first came out. I don’t think I want to sit through it all over again to spot “Condom World”.

As for a photography contest: sure, I guess. Photography is such a subjective medium; there’s no fixed standard for “good” and “bad”. Some photos communicate to some people and not others. Just looking at the “DeleteMe” group on Flickr has convinced me that most people don’t really know what exactly it is about a photo that attracts them. I try to take photos I think are good, but obviously not everyone sees things the way I do.

And yeah, why again did I spend all that money on a DSLR? I’m sure there was a good reason there somewhere…

[quote=“twonavels”]
Any favourites? It would be interesting to see what people would choose if they had to choose any three photos, particularly on the first link, that said Taiwan to them.[/quote]

Can’t get any more Taiwan than the night market, and one of the best at that:

Night panorama of Taipei:

beb.anyday.com.tw/scenic_spots/p … t=0&mode=0

Taiwan rocks

Especially during earthquakes.

I’m wondering the same thing. I read some article somewhere about an award winning photographer in Iraq who used old Olympus digital point and shoots.

I love these photos - the restaurant ones I like the most. More human.

Well, although I can get good shots on my little carry-around Canon IXUS40, there are shots I just can’t get without the 20D. The range of lenses, from wide to tele, is larger, as is the ISO range, and manual focus can come in handy as well.