Excellent small shops in Taipei (or elsewhere) we love to support now

There’s no doubt about it—these are challenging times. Amidst the difficulties and uncertainties, some small shops (including some that are foreign owned and operated) continue to prepare and sell—to take-away, of course—some excellent food.

This thread is dedicated to the shops we love to support, especially now. Who do you love?

4 Likes

Allow me to begin with one small business, in Gongguan, that has prepared an excellent small lunch for me today: Bretagne de France (法國布列塔尼甜點).

It’s a tiny place, in the same lane as Miss Energy’s Gongguan outpost, between Roosevelt Road and Tingzhou Road. Address: No 2, Lane 52, Roosevelt Road Section 4, Taipei City; 台北市羅斯福路四段52巷2號

For less than NT$100, I am enjoying a finely prepared salmon quiche. It hits the spot for me: light and bright with vegetables yet also packed with nutrition and protein. It’s seasoned perfectly to my taste.

Also available are a range of tarts and other sweets. I was pleased to see a seasonal mango tart for sale. It’s now chilling in my fridge—a nice afternoon snack.

The man from France running this shop (it’s a tiny spot, and a one-man show) is friendly and sincere and good at his craft. He told me that with the pandemic ongoing he is now at this small takeout spot every day of the week.

This place is worth supporting at any time. It’s especially worth supporting now, particularly if you are working or living near the university district.

Guy

14 Likes

this one?

http://bretagne.twec.com.tw/

You could add the link in the post.

4 Likes

Yes! That’s the one. The pictures posted on that website are exactly in line with what I am eating now, and what you will see in front of you if you visit the shop.

I’ll update the name and address above. Thank you!

Guy

My Danshuinian friends might want to check out MGM Sandwich and Cafe near Aletheia University.

They are doing takeout. Trying to convince them to join FoodPanda/UberEats but they appear reluctant. They aren’t doing indoor dining.

I’ve heard people whine about the bread in Taiwan, Not here. High quality not-sweet bread.

6 Likes

Do they do deliveries like pickup from 7-11?

I have no idea. There’s only one guy there. You could try calling him if you like. The phone number is in the link helpfully provided by @tando .

Guy

2 Likes

I have plans to get some takeout at Bogart’s barbecue in Nangang this weekend. I’m not sure if his business is bad, but I’m sure everyone is affected. I guess I’ll find out when I go there.

2 Likes

Perhaps call ahead?

I hope the good guys can get through this.

Guy

2 Likes

Dont forget them when the virus panic blows overover… :slight_smile: all these shops were there before, and will be there after.

The hard times for small business is during regular times, when the public isnt filled with fear and paranoia and they are actuvely happy to support red chinas oppression. support the good ones forever. we all should make a habit of it. And for the big ones, support those that buy manufacturer direct. Big isnt bad, but big often can be bad (greedy/sellfish/destructive). Let the money spread, any massive commpany.that does that gets my business.

1 Like
6 Likes

Follow up with links for this one; I’d never heard of this place before, and will try to get there sometime soon. Chinese name is 米吉米咖啡/三明治; based on Google, open 6:30am to 3pm; address is 251新北市淡水區新民街120巷15號.

Google maps link.

Facebook (last post from January 2020 - they don’t have much of an online presence, do they?!)

3 Likes

No. Sometimes they do that Taiwanese thing where they close early for the day which I have expressed as irritating. They get a B+ on reliable hours.

Best is to go in at noon and not rely on anything after 14.00

2 Likes

So a lunch spot!

Potentially valuable if you’re working from home in Danshui.

Guy

To Go Nomad, of course.

1 Like

Did you happen to notice whether Amore was still open? Haven’t been there in a couple of months, am overdue a pizza!

Aren’t they closing?
The owner need to go back home or something…

Nomad is very much still going.

Take out / delivery only, of course.

Guy

1 Like

I have not been to Amore since the virus jumped the fence.

Perhaps give James a call? It’d be easy to do take-out there as the kitchen space faces out onto the alley.

Guy

1 Like

Last I checked (more than a month ago), she said she was continuing the business. I think Covid threw a monkey wrench into her plans to go study in Canada.