Exchanging Driver's licenses in Taiwan

Check out this link, you can request via mail for your IDP.
aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html

I’m assuming the international license we are all talking about is the international permit?

[quote=“Robotea”]Check out this link, you can request via mail for your IDP.

I’m assuming the international license we are all talking about is the international permit?[/quote]

Thanks Robotea. I think by “exchanging” your intl license for Taiwan intl license will be the easiest process.

Has anyone gone this route? Using your U.S. driver’s license to apply for intl driver’s license then exchange for Taiwan intl driver’s license?

I’m pretty much trying to avoid taking the road test again. I personally think it will be a waste of time and money for me.

[quote=“ranlee”][quote=“Robotea”]Check out this link, you can request via mail for your IDP.

I’m assuming the international license we are all talking about is the international permit?[/quote]

Thanks Robotea. I think by “exchanging” your intl license for Taiwan intl license will be the easiest process.

Has anyone gone this route? Using your U.S. driver’s license to apply for intl driver’s license then exchange for Taiwan intl driver’s license?

I’m pretty much trying to avoid taking the road test again. I personally think it will be a waste of time and money for me.[/quote]

Sorry, but there is confusion here.

1. Robotea gave you a link to AAA US to get a US Intl License (by mail) which would a) Allow you to drive here for 30 days from your entry date, and or b) if you get the TW DMV to authorize it, can be used past the 30 days. NO TEST.
  2. There is no exchange of Intl License between US and Taiwan. Taiwan Intl is for Taiwanese only.
  3. The only way to get a real TW license is to a) be from one of the few US states that provides the same reciprocity for Taiwanese (again very few), or b) take the test (which does suck)!

Have you verified if your state has reciprocity or not?

[quote=“Micahel”][quote=“ranlee”][quote=“Robotea”]Check out this link, you can request via mail for your IDP.

I’m pretty much trying to avoid taking the road test again. I personally think it will be a waste of time and money for me.[/quote]

Sorry, but there is confusion here.

1. Robotea gave you a link to AAA US to get a US Intl License (by mail) which would a) Allow you to drive here for 30 days from your entry date, and or b) if you get the TW DMV to authorize it, can be used past the 30 days. NO TEST.
  2. There is no exchange of Intl License between US and Taiwan. Taiwan Intl is for Taiwanese only.
  3. The only way to get a real TW license is to a) be from one of the few US states that provides the same reciprocity for Taiwanese (again very few), or b) take the test (which does suck)!

Have you verified if your state has reciprocity or not?[/quote]

Finally looked it up ONLY 2 STATES Oklahoma and Maryland

If you have a Taiwan National ID Card and a valid US driver’s license OR If you have an ARC and a valid driver’s license from a selected list of U.S. States (currently only Oklahoma and Maryland), your driver’s license can be exchanged for the same class of license without your having to take a driving test.

So only way for me to not take the test is to get the international license and have the Taipei DMV authorize it? I assume the DMV can authorize it for the length of my ARC?

US Intl Driving Permit (was corrected earlier, the official name is Driving Permit not license) is only good for 1 year. The TW DMV will authorize your Intl Permit until the earliest expiration day of the 2 (ARC or Permit). If your ARC is longer than a year, just get another Intl Permit when the 1st expires. I did this for 2 years before I got my TW license.

US Intl Driving Permit (was corrected earlier, the official name is Driving Permit not license) is only good for 1 year. The TW DMV will authorize your Intl Permit until the earliest expiration day of the 2 (ARC or Permit). If your ARC is longer than a year, just get another Intl Permit when the 1st expires. I did this for 2 years before I got my TW license.[/quote]

Thanks Micahel, I think this will be the route I go with to avoid retaking the driving test. I don’t feel like retaking driving test for cars then have to take another one for the scooter. Just rather do one of the two.

Thanks Micahel! I just went to the Taipei DMV on Bade this morning. I told the lady at the info desk what I needed and she said she was 100% sure she could help.
I brought my California drivers license, my ARC and my Intl Driver Permit.

CA drivers license expires March, 2015
ARC expires Nov, 2014
Intl Driver Permit expires Aug, 2013.

I wanted to have them stamp my Intl Driver Permit (I was told to do this by the police when I got pulled over), but the lady said as long as I have a California or New York drivers license, then I don’t need to do sh*t. She said I can’t use the CA or NY to exchange a Taiwan license, but those two state drivers license are valid in Taiwan. She said the cops might write me up for not having a valid drivers license, but the DMV will not make me pay the fine if I can prove that I have a license from CA or NY.

This bit of info was how I understood it worked, but for some reason I heard the policy changed. For my peace of mind, next time I return to the US, I will get another Intl Driver Permit and still have the Taiwan DMV stamp it. Taiwanese people sure love stamping shit. Hope that helps anyone else out there.

[quote=“Robotea”]Thanks Micahel! I just went to the Taipei DMV on Bade this morning. I told the lady at the info desk what I needed and she said she was 100% sure she could help.
I brought my California drivers license, my ARC and my Intl Driver Permit.

CA drivers license expires March, 2015
ARC expires Nov, 2014
Intl Driver Permit expires Aug, 2013.

I wanted to have them stamp my Intl Driver Permit (I was told to do this by the police when I got pulled over), but the lady said as long as I have a California or New York drivers license, then I don’t need to do sh*t. She said I can’t use the CA or NY to exchange a Taiwan license, but those two state drivers license are valid in Taiwan. She said the cops might write me up for not having a valid drivers license, but the DMV will not make me pay the fine if I can prove that I have a license from CA or NY.

This bit of info was how I understood it worked, but for some reason I heard the policy changed. For my peace of mind, next time I return to the US, I will get another Intl Driver Permit and still have the Taiwan DMV stamp it. Taiwanese people sure love stamping shit. Hope that helps anyone else out there.[/quote]

WHAT?! That makes no sense to me, cop writes you a fine, DMV doesn’t make you pay for it. I’m at a loss for words.

This is good to know though. Definitely have to constantly keep asking DMV employees what the new policy is because their website is never up to date.

WHAT?! That makes no sense to me, cop writes you a fine, DMV doesn’t make you pay for it. I’m at a loss for words.

This is good to know though. Definitely have to constantly keep asking DMV employees what the new policy is because their website is never up to date.[/quote]

Sorry dude, I should have been more clear. The cops wrote me a ticket for changing lanes without signaling, but warned me to get my license exchanged or stamped. At the DMV, they said if the cops did write me a ticket for having an invalid license even though I have a valid California license, they will throw that ticket in the trash and I don’t have to pay. Hope that helps!

I’ll probably go back to the DMV in a few months and ask the same questions, hope I get the right answer.

Thanks for clarifying man. After I got my 250cc< scooter license. I’ve jsut been too lazy to apply for my intl license.

hi,

all

have any of you guys , from australia or the u.k . got your taiwan driving licenses . with out taking the test .

so you can just fill out the paper work . pay a fee . and transfer you aus/u.k license to a taiwanses .

any info is good .

thks

mike

[quote=“KEYESGOOD”]hi,

all

have any of you guys , from australia or the u.k . got your taiwan driving licenses . with out taking the test .

so you can just fill out the paper work . pay a fee . and transfer you aus/u.k license to a taiwanses .

any info is good .

thks

mike[/quote]
I used my NSW licence to exchange for a Taiwan one. It only cost a couple of hundred NT and was dead easy. You need to get the medical form from the DMV before you begin. Then just hit the doctors for a quick eye and ear test. You’ll need a photo for that, and the DMV will need a photo too. You will also needed to have your license copied and certified by the Australian consulate. You can usually just rock up there and they’ll do it for you.

The woman who helped me at the DMV did take some time to figure out I could change my licence, but once she figured it out we were set.

[quote=“KEYESGOOD”]hi,

all

any info is good .

thks

mike[/quote]

Your best bet is to go to the DMV and ask. The license exchanging policy is always changing. One month you can exchange, the next you can’t.

I suggest bringing someone to translate. Not everyone there speaks clear English.

if you exchange your drivers license or international license for a taiwan license, is that good for scooters as well?

Scooters (higher than 50CC) needs scooter specific license. i think scooter license is only up until 200CC if i remember correctly… then over that, it’ll be the heavy motorcycle license.

Scooters (higher than 50CC) needs scooter specific license. I think scooter license is only up until 200CC if i remember correctly… then over that, it’ll be the heavy motorcycle license.[/quote]

There’s different classifications for a scooter license. Your regular driver’s license (for a car), allows you to ride a 50cc scooter.

51cc to 150cc scooters you need a separate scooter license. 151cc+ (or 250cc) is another separate license from the 51-150cc scooter license.

Hope that clears it up.

[quote=“ranlee”]Your best bet is to go to the DMV and ask.

[/quote]

thks guys for the replys

take care

mike

[quote=“bumclouds”][quote=“ranlee”]Your best bet is to go to the DMV and ask.

[/quote][/quote]

That’s racist.