Excuse me, please

Do the words ‘excuse me’ exist in the Chinese language, if so, why is it never used? Taiwanese people would rather stand and wait or barge their way through instead of politely saying, ‘excuse me, please’… Or is it just me?

3 Likes

It’s basically “sorry” in Chinese. Or “no bad intentions”.

對不起 or 不好意思

不好意思 Would probably be the most accurate.

4 Likes

It might be being used but you wouldn’t know?

There are occasions when people say nothing if you are a foreigner (assuming you are one). There are reasons for that. However, it’s more likely that you’re just not hearing it.

1 Like

yes it exists and people here are over using it…"不好意思 " they probably just don’t know if you can understand it or not

2 Likes

In the context you’re talking about, it would be 借過, 不好意思 or “sowry.” People do say it, but not nearly enough.

4 Likes

It’s common to hear this 不好意思 (Bu-eeee-shou) a softer way to say move or excuse me, but if you do not understand or react (no reaction) I too push my way out if your blocking the way out.

pháinn-sè 歹勢
sit-lé 失禮

3 Likes

走開!

10 Likes

It’s just you.

4 Likes

給我滾!
:grin:

1 Like

I think “bu hao yi si” is used plenty in Taiwan in the context of “excuse me”.

3 Likes

But “give me roll” sounds so cute!

1 Like

How did you get that pronunciation? Or is it in Taiwanese?

Damned if this ain’t just about the wrongest shit I ever read.

At least the characters are on point.

if we are taking that approach then

siám 閃

1 Like

Ignorant youngsters and entitled old folks aside, I find most people are polite enough in this regard. The fact that the OP didn’t know the words makes me think he’s just not hearing them, as many have stated.

3 Likes

Or they shove it all together cause it’s four syllables.

Oh, I never realized that’s how the famous “paisei” is written. Thanks for giving me my mind-blowing discovery of the day. :exploding_head: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

你给我滾
Nǐ gěi wǒ gǔn