Excuse me

“Baoqian” has more weight to it. More sincerity, I would say.

2 Likes

I’d say they’re about the same level, but baoqian sounds more formal. The tone of voice and manner in which they’re spoken is more important, really.

What, this one?
korea_the%20reason%20Japan%20came%20to%20the%20world

Da fuq did I just read

What Taiwan are they talking about? I almost never hear buhaoyisi.

Old ladies at night market don’t use it. People using public transportation don’t use it. The very rare time I hear it is when someone is terribly embarrassed about an error.

I use it more than hear it. My Taiwan friend sometimes tells me don’t use it unless I did something clearly bad and my fault, and even then don’t use it often. It’s like giving up and saying “sorry, I’m stupid”, makes you look bad if you say it at wrong time, and almost assumes another action needs to occur as resolution.

saizeriya is the shit restaurant in question.

Pai sai solves everything!

2 Likes

I think pai se is the exact equivalent of bu hao yi se in the dialect. It’s definitely not been any stronger when I’ve heard extended family using it.

As for bu hao yi se I am sick and tired of hearing it. The article alludes to it how it is used so often it has become meaningless. What the article doesn’t mention, (maybe the author is afraid of all the Taiwanese cyber warriors ?), is how people say it as some sort of excuse before they go ahead and do the wrong thing.

I always took bu hao yi si as less of an “I’m sorry” and more of a “pardon me”

“Pardon me I’m just going to cut in front of you here.”
“I just hit your body with my scooter. Pardon me.”

I think the same way.
Your not real sorry if your dropping a bu hao yi si

1 Like

Bu hao yi si to me simply seems to be the Mandarin equivalent of pai sei , I’d bet pai sei culture goes back a long way in Taiwan (in order to avoid a fight kicking off with all the different ethnic groups that used to fight each other here).
Likely goes back before Japanese times…

1 Like