Executive Yuan liberalizes employment of foreigners

1 Like

Some great moves forward, very useful.for helping keep existing immigrants in Taiwan, less useful for attracting immigrants and professionals due to the tax break change.

But overall good news for many especially around pensions and kids!

1 Like

Taiwanese commenters and social media are going to freak out.

1 Like

Does the proposed extension of working rights for spouses and children of " professionals" include English teachers? I know that the categorization in Chinese can be very specific … Or are teachers not included in that category?

Regardless, an exciting development ( finally ).

Excellent! Things are FINALLY moving. With cautious optimism, I very much hope this makes it through the Legislative Yuan. Fingers crossed!

Guy

If a professional gets APRC, qualified spoese and minor children can get APRC together, so get work permit. Qualified grown children can apply open work permit by themselves.

I’m cautiously optimistic but from past experience it will end up just like the citizenship for professionals without renouncing law, great on paper but then in practice nobody can actually get it other than priests and nuns.

The same thing happened even before that with the plum blossom card that almost nobody was able to get.

Then they promised liberalization on foreigners getting credit cards and in response to that most banks just put it in writing that foreigners needed a cosigner. No help in actually changing the law for foreigner benefit.

Hopefully I’m wrong and they can implement these new laws in a beneficial way.

Realistically, all this talk about hubs, startups and tech is unrealistic without a more globalized and diverse workforce (in thought, experience and nationality) or there is no point. As the target market is South East Asia, they need more workers and ideas from those places. The bitter Taiwanese netizens need to be quiet

Act for the Recruitment and Employment of Foreign Professionals (Draft)

Analyzing Taiwan’s Draft Law on Foreign Talent

3 Likes

Good to see that this is finally being included:

1 Like

Yes!! There’s all kinds of excellent news in this draft law. And the “analysis” link above to the International News Lens is well worth reading too. Fingers crossed that this makes it through the next two readings in the Legislative Yuan.

Guy

10 major benefits included in the new Act for the Recruitment and Employment of Foreign Professional Talent

1 Like

Another article on the topic here:

I guess it’s a step in the right direction but I saw people in another thread saying it’s a little vague overall.

I’ll be interested to know how they’re going to figure out these gold cards. If they’re only available in limited numbers, is it on a first-come, first-served basis? Or are their requirements that need to be met? And if you meet those requirements but the limit has been reached, is it tough luck?

Another article:

Professionals with an annual salary of more than NT$3 million will receive a 50% tax cut for 3 years.

Good luck getting that salary in Taiwan…

Posted in another related forum (on pensions) but I’ll put it here too:

Guy

Great news! :banana::happyrunningaround:

I thought I read something about having the ARC I in the same format as Taiwanese National ID somewhere… But it seems it was not included among these changes.
Not complaining, tho! :trollface:

So what is the difference between an APRC and the gold card?

The gold card sounds similar to an APRC, but you don’t get permanent residency. To me, it looks like this :

1. You have the ability to change jobs
  2. It has an expiration date,
  3. Must be renewed
  4. your condition of staying in Taiwan on this gold card is being employed. It’s unclear if you have to leave Taiwan after quitting or losing a job

[Cross Post]

There is now a complete English translation of the Act for the Recruitment and Employment of Foreign Professionals available at the bottom of this announcement from the National Development Council. This is the version of the Act that was enacted by the Legislature earlier this week.

3 Likes

The new act has now come into effect. Has anybody tried to apply under it?

2 Likes