Exercising schedule

If I can only exercise in the morning, say around 8:30am and for about 30~40 minutes, is it true that I should eat 1/2 hour before starting my exercise?
Also, if I have a protein drink, should I take it before or after my exercise?

I wouldn’t eat anything before. When I run early in the morning I usually just have a pee and then drink a glass of water. With protein shakes you would want to drink it after exercise to help rebuild broken down muscle tissues. However if you’re just doing 30 minutes of “normal” exercise I’d go with eating your usual breakfast afterwards.

FWIW

Your stomach will produce prodigious amounts of acid in the presence of protein. If you run immediately after eating protein, there’s a very good chance that acid will flux its way up and past the sphincter muscle at the top of your stomach and splash into your esophagus. Being as I am not a big fan of heartburn in general, I hate that.

Protein is very important for runners. Personally, I would never exercise within 60 minutes of eating protein. If that’s not feasible, I would wait to eat any protein until after you’ve finished your exercise.

[quote=“flike”]Your stomach will produce prodigious amounts of acid in the presence of protein. If you run immediately after eating protein, there’s a very good chance that acid will flux its way up and past the sphincter muscle at the top of your stomach and splash into your esophagus. Being as I am not a big fan of heartburn in general, I hate that.
[/quote]
Omeprazole/Lansoprazole are your friends.