Exhibition about Sa'owac village

This exhibition might be interesting for anyone concerned by civil rights, aborigine culture, survival architecture, ethnobotanics…
http://support-sanying.blogspot.com/

Plant-Matter NeoEden: Born in a Vegetable Patch

A Solo Exhibition by Hsu Su-chen + Lu Chien-ming

Date: 2009.4/18 (Sat.) ~ 5/3 (Sun.)

Born in a Vegetable Patch

When the weekend comes, they want to get away from the exhaust and traffic they have created, and try to escape… Cyclists can find the route along the Dahan River from the map. The route a bit strenuous in the beginning as it follows the river up, but going home in the evening is all downhill. So that bicycles can pass by the riverbank, and there will be a grassy landscape like a city park, our society has removed all the loma’ (houses) and talo’an (farming huts).

In order to escape destitution, to satisfy their vain city dreams, or for no real reason at all, many Amis tribespeople left their homeland on the Pacific coast and along the Ciporan River (Siouguluan River) and led a half-life on fishing boats, in mines, or in the edges on cities, up on scaffolding and in factory production lines. After thirty years of half working and half farming, they finally found the Ciporan River in my heart along the Dahan River.

There is no way that I can escape my attachment to the talo’an, vegetable patches, and breadfruit trees. The elders I know have cut off all their hair, and have tied strips of cloth to their heads in their determination to protect their talo’an huts. Like our ancestors, we elect the wisest persons to be our leaders. We have named the village Sa’owac niyaro’, which means “village by the riverside.”

When night comes, the clan elders sit around a wood fire by the bank of the Dahan River, and everyone softly, uneasily discusses yesterday’s decision.

The village of Sa’owac was born in a vegetable patch.

(Lu Chien-ming)

……………………………………………………………………

Shin Leh Yuan Art Space 886-2-2561-1548

slyart.com.tw/index.htm
1st F, No.15-2, Lane11, Chung-Shan North Road, Sec.2, Taipei, Taiwan

Open Hours: Wed.-Sun. 1-8pm.