Exit Plan(s)

That $40000 salary is for ESL copywriters. You will not be getting $40000 as a native speaker.

I saw what you did there.

If I were your boss, I’d made sure to intervene and throw in a “therefore” somewhere. :upside_down_face:

Guy

1 Like

Buxiboss called me this morning to tell me that he’d be cutting my online classes due to not enough students signing up to the school. While I understand, because he has 3 Taiwanese teachers who speak decent English who also need a salary, it makes me really sad to be dropped this way after working there for almost a year and a half. I really love the students and already miss being in the class with them.

I’m fortunate enough to have a second online job, which is why I’m not angry at this situation. While it doesn’t pay much, the 20k salary is still enough for rent, food and low savings. Unfortunately, it means that I will have to head back to Canada in the near future. It really sucks, because I moved three weeks ago to a brand new apt one minute away from NTNU, where I study Chinese.

I guess the plan is to go home as soon as the Canadian government remove their idiotic 3-day mandatory hotel stay at roughly 7k NTD/day, get my Pfizer/Moderna and then come back to Taiwan once it opens up again, which I hope will be around winter time.

I feel comfortable with my decision, I just really wish I didn’t have to make it. I guess that in the midst of a global pandemic, you sometimes have to do things that you don’t want to! I hope everyone who decides to stay for now will be safe and that life in Taiwan will go back to normal soon.

11 Likes

If that’s true, it would tend to confirm the always reasonable assumption that they’ll expect fluency in spoken and written Mandarin.

A Can Do attitude wouldn’t take me very far there, but there are probably enough people with those painfully acquired skills to generate fairly intense competition for this job.

In this world, nowadays

Nahh. My Chinese is far from perfect. The end result is most important. Google translate or DeepL what you don’t know and fix the English. Localise it and they will be happy.

It’s often faster just to fix the Google translate.

The can do attitude is you won’t know if you don’t try.

1 Like

Exactly.
I think they could have ordered a lot more if they wanted to. They screwed up really badly and I recall chen shi zhong saying some vaccines were not good value.
Also their negotiations seem to have started quite late with some vendors e.g. J&J.
Japan , Korea and Singapore were all far more proactive in acquiring vaccines.

We all know the issues with BNT (partly caused by the Taiwan government not even bothering to put money on the table ) but I see no evidence how that affected the procurement of other vaccines

2 Likes

I quote, because a post can’t be empty, so I have to say that, though the quotation marks make it bleedin obvious anyway.

In this world, nowadays,

Well when one has little or nothing to lose, is there any harm in giving it a go?

I am by myself. I need to stand up and defend me cause I know nobody else will.

1 Like

6 month turnaround from first interview according to Acer.

It’s not that bad. If @wonton or anyone else gets a copywriting job without perfect Chinese, then they are free to ask me questions on how to fine tune their skills.

1 Like

Without comment.

I didn’t watch the video, but I felt annoyed by the guys face already. I cannot understand why people nowadays have the need to expose and share their opinion to everyone out there like they are doing an amazing and unique thing.

Well it is pretty unique for a white foreigner to claim in a YT video that he’s now Taiwanese while he’s wearing a NASA t-shirt and has a “USA” pennant hanging in the background. Gotta give him that.

3 Likes

That is correct, need to give credit for that! :slight_smile:

Perhaps you could apply for a job with whatever outfit does the Nike ads?

Just need to shorten a bit.

Or get them to make longer trainers.

In this world, nowadays

I’m happy with my current non-teaching job.

2 Likes

Because people can only be one thing and in order to be Taiwanese one has to forget everything about their past.

Edit: haven’t watched the video but I assume it’s irrelevant to my point.

This guy claims he is “Taiwanese” but still keeps his American passport. I wouldn’t usually care if people did this, but making a dramatic video to milk views about how much you love Taiwan when you won’t even trade your US citizenship for Taiwanese citizenship is pretty damn cringe.

4 Likes

I didn’t say he had to forget his past. I just pointed out that it’s pretty unique to talk about how you’re Taiwanese as a white American dude while wearing a NASA t-shirt with a USA pennant behind you. Ironic maybe a better word.

Anyway, it’s all for the views anyway.

I prefer the non political noobie patriotic stuff, even if it is annoying, to Turtonite-type deep-green ramblings masquerading as informed and balanced political punditry. One is somewhat innocent, the other is rather pretentious.